Clay’s Wedgewood Blue FB Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

ardiesse
State: NSW

Re: Clay’s Wedgewood Blue FB Ute

Post by ardiesse »

. . . wouldn't be anything as simple as headlight high and low beam wires swapped over at the screw terminal blocks?

Rob
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Thought has crossed my mind but don’t think so.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I thought if would be nice to have functioning windscreen washers for the trip across the big paddock. I installed the original FB wiper bezel mounted squirters when I originally built the ute, but never got around to plumbing them up.

I came by a period washer reservoir some time ago. I mounted it in between my not so period (1980s after market) coolant reservoir, and the VH40 booster, which was the only logical spot in the engine bay. If doesn’t really do the period correct reservoir justice, but oh well. And it doesn’t include a pump.

More recently, I sourced an after market pump, with 4mm inlet and outlet. Then just the other day I got some 4mm ID hose, and T piece. Both items straight off eBay. The original nozzles however, require 3mm ID tube, so I went down to my local Clark Rubber today and got some 3mm ID clear vinyl tube. Slight application of the heat gun enables this to fit over the 4mm barbed T-piece.

As the reservoir draws from the top, I have run the black 4mm tube with the wiring, through the firewall, and mounted the pump under the dash using a longer screw, on the passenger side of the plenum vent/heater core. Tested and working prior to final mounting. I already had a feed pre-wired from the switch from Pete Mallaby’s BA &*#@ wiper motor conversion.

There aren’t many jobs I find more frustrating than working under the dash of these old jiggers. I needed to disconnect everything in order to screw the pump up under the dash. There was some confusion regarding polarity of the 12V pump. I tried it both ways, each time running for longer periods, sucking the water up to the pump prior to running, and even pressurising the reservoir with compressed air. BUT THE BLOODY THING WILL NOT SQUIRT!!!

I called a stop to work, being in need of respite….Image

EK van on rotisserie
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Yep I know what ya mean about working under the dash Clay,
I find working through the speaker grille or glove box (after removal) does help.

Is your pump mounted above or below the fluid level of your washer reservoir? Do you have an air relief hole in your reservoir? Might have to give the pump a test run on the bench?

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

MMMMMMM...... Catholic Girls :D :D

Frank Zappa wrote a song about them ...... :P :P
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

All good points thanks boys. Tomorrow is another day, oh and yes, I married a catholic girl, after quite a bit of listening to Frank….

EK van on rotisserie
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

And now I have "Only the Good Die Young" by Billy Joel in earworm mode -
(and it's got a cracker of a walking bass line too . . .)

Rob
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I pity you, Rob.

Squirters are squirting or more, dribbling. Stephen was on to it with having the pump below the reservoir. I have another pump to try for more volume yet.

I about $*#@ the glove box, which was already pretty toasty.Image
Interior light isn't getting any volts.

Exhaust was hitting but now fixed and the car is otherwise running sweetly and ready to go.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

I have one of those repro glove boxes if you are looking for one Clay.

Squirty thingo can be testing. Mine mucked me about a bit too, but pump incorporated in bottom of plastic bottle so not a priming problem- more of a flooding mess problem.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Thanks for the offer Brett. I want to sort if before Friday week, so I will see what I can source locally.

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

$*#@ yay....ImageRunning two pumps in series, hydraulically.

EK van on rotisserie
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

Get a bit of sheet metal Clay and make a glove box like I did for Frank
IMG_0094.jpg
IMG_0094.jpg (481.21 KiB) Viewed 293 times
IMG_0096.jpg
IMG_0096.jpg (749.81 KiB) Viewed 293 times
I also married a Catholic Girl :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
The Reverend FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Great minds, Neil............................
I need to get something a bit lighter than 0.9mm zicaneal, and I was thinking of using 1mm aluminium. I may just throw in one of the rough ones I have for the time being, and concentrate on some cup holders.

Interior light had a wet splice under the driver's scuff plate.

Getting te brake pedal off was a challenge. The bush is worn and everything was dry and binding. The pedal box is he only part of the car that hasn't been touched, so it figures. Clutch pedal seems much better, thankfully. Found one in the yard with a better bush and hit it with spiral wire wheel and brunox. Now curing, and that will suffice.Image

EK van on rotisserie
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Getting te brake pedal off was a challenge. The bush is worn and everything was dry and binding. The pedal box is he only part of the car that hasn't been touched, so it figures. Clutch pedal seems much better, thankfully. Found one in the yard with a better bush and hit it with spiral wire wheel and brunox. Now curing, and that will suffice.Image

[/quote]

Will you need the brakes going West?? Would think the cup holders are more important for your passenger 😊
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Harv

Post by Harv »

In the Shed wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:56 pmWill you need the brakes going West?? Would think the cup holders are more important for your passenger 😊
Point it at the sunset. Engage cruise control stick. Occy strap steering. Use long range fuel tanks when it splutters. Only need brakes once, just before your feet get wet. :lol:

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.