Supplementary turn signal lights on sides of car?

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

avm
State: VIC

Supplementary turn signal lights on sides of car?

Post by avm »

Hi,

I am considering installing supplementary turn signal lights on the sides of the EK Holden. However, I do not wish to merely attach a modern-day side marker light to the sides of each of the front fenders. I am hoping to disguise the lights, perhaps by 3D printing, as some other period-correct objects that used to be attached to FB/EK Holdens in their day.

Can anyone suggest some items that would typically be attached to the sides of the front fenders? The 1957 chevy has a trio of identical decorative pieces that adorn the side of each fender. How about our the FB/EK Holdens?
Project ICKPA.
Harv
State: NSW

Re: Supplementary turn signal lights on sides of car?

Post by Harv »

Three guard "slashes" on an EK.
Special badge.
Front mudflaps (too low).
Curb crawlers (too low).
Accessory guard mirrors.
Front fender wind splits.
Aerial (usually only one side).
GTS guard flutes (Western Sydney bogan-grade upgrade).

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

FX FJ had a sort of winged dummy vent accessory, much similar to the chev ones you refer to I reckon.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Been toying with this idea too for the last few years. Just haven't found the right inspiration yet that looks period correct. Was toying with the idea of 3D printed stars/slashes but then they would look a bit ordinary compared to the chromed ones. And they would look ordinary as they would be 3D printed not cast resin. At least if I made them.
Alternative is to buy off the shelf. Most existing side indicators are boring oval shapes and are used on cheaper models that don't have them integrated into the side mirrors. There are a few 'premium' options though. There is one off a BMW E90 that at least has a more dynamic shape, so too an Alfa 159, but they are both too "modern". Saw something on an old car recently that looked like a tick turn 90 degrees anti clockwise but can't remember where so that is not very helpful.
Location wise, situating it just above Harv's GTS guard flutes seems like the best place. 8) Inset into the panel and following a body line would be even better.
Here was a quick visualization of a star I modeled in SketchUp and rendered in vizcom. 3 of these sequences together Knight Rider style might have looked cool about 10 years ago. Now they would just look a bit like a poor man's used Audi Q7 rear indicator.
indicator off.jpeg
indicator off.jpeg (52.95 KiB) Viewed 330 times
indicator on.jpeg
indicator on.jpeg (54.43 KiB) Viewed 330 times
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
Harv

Post by Harv »

funkyscooter wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 8:36 am Here was a quick visualization of a star I modeled in SketchUp and rendered in vizcom. 3 of these sequences together Knight Rider style might have looked cool about 10 years ago.
That clear star looks neat.

Mr Hasselhof would be proud... but not as proud as this one (the HEK Rider):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYIx1RtnLtw

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

I reckon they would look very cool, neat work Scott. My only challenge would be bringing myself to drill holes in the guards :lol:
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
avm

Post by avm »

Harv wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 4:53 pm Three guard "slashes" on an EK.
Special badge.
Front mudflaps (too low).
Curb crawlers (too low).
Accessory guard mirrors.
Front fender wind splits.
Aerial (usually only one side).
GTS guard flutes (Western Sydney bogan-grade upgrade).

Cheers,
Harv
Good suggestions, thank you. Will consider.
Project ICKPA.
avm

Post by avm »

Errol62 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 5:29 pm FX FJ had a sort of winged dummy vent accessory, much similar to the chev ones you refer to I reckon.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie

Good suggestion, thank you. Will try to find pictures of what you describe.
Project ICKPA.
avm

Post by avm »

funkyscooter wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 8:36 am Been toying with this idea too for the last few years. Just haven't found the right inspiration yet that looks period correct. Was toying with the idea of 3D printed stars/slashes but then they would look a bit ordinary compared to the chromed ones. And they would look ordinary as they would be 3D printed not cast resin. At least if I made them.
Alternative is to buy off the shelf. Most existing side indicators are boring oval shapes and are used on cheaper models that don't have them integrated into the side mirrors. There are a few 'premium' options though. There is one off a BMW E90 that at least has a more dynamic shape, so too an Alfa 159, but they are both too "modern". Saw something on an old car recently that looked like a tick turn 90 degrees anti clockwise but can't remember where so that is not very helpful.
Location wise, situating it just above Harv's GTS guard flutes seems like the best place. 8) Inset into the panel and following a body line would be even better.
Here was a quick visualization of a star I modeled in SketchUp and rendered in vizcom. 3 of these sequences together Knight Rider style might have looked cool about 10 years ago. Now they would just look a bit like a poor man's used Audi Q7 rear indicator.
indicator off.jpeg
indicator on.jpeg
That's a very interesting idea. Can you please send to me the design file? I have access to a good 3D printer, and I have been experimenting with surface smoothing methods, and I have recently acquired a couple of clear 3D printing filaments that are supposed to be capable of use to even produce functioning lenses (seriously), so if you like I can try to produce a start from your design and share with you the results of my experiments. As it happens, I was considering using illuminated FB stars in other settings, so perhaps your design could provide solutions for multiple challenges.
Project ICKPA.
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Harv wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:52 am
That clear star looks neat.

Mr Hasselhof would be proud... but not as proud as this one (the HEK Rider):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYIx1RtnLtw

Cheers,
Harv
Love it!
Scott
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Sent you a PM Andrew with a link to the files as they are not supported file types. Look forward to seeing it in a print form
Scott
Scott
Mick

Post by Mick »

god i can't wait to remove the repeaters that were put on the EK I have, but then again the special badges, stars, bonnet bird and holden lettering on bonnet are all also going
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

Hi AVM;
This is what I did from a VZ dunny door not every bodies taste but I like them.
121.jpg
121.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 237 times
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
The Reverend FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Harv

Post by Harv »

FireKraka wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:32 pm Hi AVM;
This is what I did from a VZ dunny door not every bodies taste but I like them.
121.jpg
I reckon the shape of the VZ ones looks OK. I don't like the fuel door though - love the shape of the original cap, even if it protrudes.

Everyone's taste is different.

Cheers,
Harv
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Mount some LED strip. You could extend the standard commercial trim guard spear. Minimal and subtle ages well.

Joe Crupi runs an LED strip diving light on his smicko EK wagon. Don't see why they wouldn't work.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie