Original steering whell

Need something for your daily driver or to finish off that project?

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Sneezy1211
State: QLD

Original steering whell

Post by Sneezy1211 »

Hi all , after an original EK steering wheel in ok condition, cracks around the wheel would be ok as it will be restored anyway but would like something that is crack free around the boss if possible .

Cheers col

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

Blacky
State: WA

Re: Original steering whell

Post by Blacky »

I have several at home here in Perth mate, if you cant find one any closer ??
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Sneezy1211

Post by Sneezy1211 »

Blacky wrote:I have several at home here in Perth mate, if you cant find one any closer ??
Hi Blacky
I've found one local that has been restored for $420 .. I have no idea what it cost to get them restored but I would think it wouldn't be cheap so it's probably a reasonable price ?

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Not too bad, if you want one done at Pearlcraft or the like you are looking at twice that amount :shock:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Sneezy1211

Post by Sneezy1211 »

Blacky wrote:Not too bad, if you want one done at Pearlcraft or the like you are looking at twice that amount :shock:
Hi blacky
Got some pictures through of the local one it's not restored and has cracks .. interested in what you have and what your after . Ok if they need restoring , we have ordered a collapsible column through billet works in wa and they have someone that can restore so interested in one of yours and sending it to them as they need it to do mods for there column

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Will take some pics of what I have when i get home mate :thumbsup:

Errol62
State: SA

Original steering whell

Post by Errol62 »

Pretty simple to restore really, as long as it isn’t too bad. They will always crack again eventually. I just opened up the cracks a bit, used some fine finish filler, sanded and keyed the existing finish, Protec 458 primer surfacer aerosol, light rub and finish with a few coats of jet black 2k urethane. Two hours work total. Four years and 10,000 miles later there are hairline cracks where the spokes meet the rim.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Sneezy1211

Post by Sneezy1211 »

Errol62 wrote:Pretty simple to restore really, as long as it isn’t too bad. They will always crack again eventually. I just opened up the cracks a bit, used some fine finish filler, sanded and keyed the existing finish, Protec 458 primer surfacer aerosol, light rub and finish with a few coats of jet black 2k urethane. Two hours work total. Four years and 10,000 miles later there are hairline cracks where the spokes meet the rim.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
The ome I have is ok but has a bit of damage around the boss that I'm not sure of. Should probably check with billet works and see how much they actually machine around the boss area

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

All of these are going to need some work done mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk