Painting a grey

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Esme
State: NOT ENTERED

Painting a grey

Post by Esme »

Hi All, About to re-paint a grey motor post reco and have two questions.
1: Does anyone know what shade of grey it is supposed to be. and
2: Can I just use plain enamel (or some other heat resistant paint) on the bare steel, or do I have to prime, etc.
Regards,
Richard.
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

I just went to the local auto parts store and on the engine enamel spray cans stand they had holden grey,worked for me.Just follow the instructions.
Regards
Petrolhead
Dare to be different,no "Cookie Cutter Car" for me!
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

You can use normal enamel and a brush! Just make sure everything is cleaned thoroughly (even if spraying). A trick for using enamel is to heat it slightly as it thins it a little and allows it to flow better. I have painted a block like this before, but if the engine is out use a spray can, its alot quicker and easier...
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Esme

Post by Esme »

Thanks Fellas,
The motor is still out and is yet to be re-assembled. Basically it will be a new grey.The entire motor is totally clean. All the sheetmetal has been cleaned bare and zinced. The can idea sounds great, I do have spraypainting gear, but seeing as the cans are engine enamel, then why make things difficult for myself? (I really hate cleaning my sprayguns)
Cheers
Richard
Esme

Post by Esme »

Thanks SunnyTim
At least now I can be confident that as long as I do a decent prep job, I don't need to use primer and a decent engine enamel paint will do the job. I will probably go for the can option. If anyone is interested I'll post a pic here of the motor for all to see.
FB MAD

Painting a grey

Post by FB MAD »

Yep post some photos. I'm about to paint a grey probably by can so would be interested how it looks and what brand and paint number you used. Terry.
I can't think what to write here so this will do.
Esme

Post by Esme »

Finished the Motor and it's running like a dream. Just going through the running in period now. The paint I used came from a place called Eastern Auto Paints in Bayswater (Thanks Rosco). It looked a bit dark on application, but after a few days drying it looks pretty good. I took some photo's (well, my wife did, she wouldnt let me get my greasy, painty hands on it) but alas I'm buggered if I know how to post pictures. Rest assured it looks positively ace, and if anyone wants to see the final product, I'll be happy to send them some pics.
Richard.
EK-179

Post by EK-179 »

richard. i would love to see final pics, if you wish

email em to me, and ill post em up for ya

email is kenkanifff@hotmail.com
earlyholdenfan

Post by earlyholdenfan »

hehe Torque I just pressed the send on a similar message (PM) to Richard! hehe
Hoping everyone is finding my new Avatar less "Distracting" and of course it is not directed at anyone or anything either currently living or deceased, hopefully it may just be allowed to remain!
earlyholdenfan

Posting Pictures for ESME

Post by earlyholdenfan »

WOW the new paint job looks a treat, (posting for ESME)

Hoping everyone is finding my new Avatar less "Distracting" and of course it is not directed at anyone or anything either currently living or deceased, hopefully it may just be allowed to remain!
FB60

Post by FB60 »

yep - looks good alright !

I've just been through the same process - and your shade looks very similar to the one that I ended up choosing by eye. I ended up spraying the metal parts (including sideplate) in 2Pak - came up looking sweet!

I tried to do some research on what the exact colour should be for a completely stock FB/EK grey - and got many different answers! :

One interesting comment from one of guys from the FE/FC Car Club was that the Factory used a mixure of whatever grey-type paints that they had laying around (ie they werent too fussy as long as it was some sort of grey). Others said that they used different shades of grey across the different early holdens (ie FJ onwards) ...

I found it difficult to get concensus on this issue - so just went with a darkish grey (much like yours I think) that looked good to my eye ...

cheers
parisian62
State: NSW

Post by parisian62 »

Hey Richard - thanks for sharing your experiences of painting the grey with the rest of use - looks tops! 8) Can you tell us what brand/colour rattle can did you end up using?

Well done for posting the pics up too Matt. I've heard the same thing - there appears to be many shades of grey!

Stewart
Esme

Post by Esme »

Hey all
After searching high and low for a grey engine paint in a pressure pack. I gave up and ended up buying a 1 litre can of premixed grey from a mob called "Eastern Auto Paints" in Bayswater (Vic) Their number is (03) 9761 2155. The only thing on the label which may be the paint number is '363'. A bit short, but It could be it. So now given the end result it was worthwhile using the spray gun. Compared to the process of re-assembling the motor post rebuild and putting it back in the car, the spraying process was relatively minor. It's nice to have the motor looking good, but's it's even nicer to have it running good, without belching smoke and spraying oil from the side vent!
Cheerio
Richard.

PS Thanks Matt for posting the pics.
blue ute

Post by blue ute »

Hi Richard
Rumour has it the proper colour code for the gey is Holden Engine Grey Dulux 393-10367 which is still availiable from the dulux colour chart pre 1970 (I think) & sounds like the one you got Richard, but apparently Holden did use a mix of colours were left over to make the engine grey.

Cheers Nic
FB60

Post by FB60 »

I was just checking out the photo posted above again ...

The following are all painted BLACK :
fan blade, harmonic balancer and breather pipe?

Does anyone know if these were the stock original colours for these particular parts (I had always 'assumed' that 'all' the engine parts were GREY?).

Jamie