Wanting EK real low

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

NZ_EK
State: NOT ENTERED

Wanting EK real low

Post by NZ_EK »

I've had a search through the build threads etc but not real finding what I'm looking for (maybe I'm not looking hard enough haha), anyway...
I'm wanting to have my ek sedan sitting around 100mm mark (legal limit to lowest structural point here in nz) but I'm not sure what would be the best way to go, I'm running an hr front end and have priced up drop spindles which were around $1000 for a pair for 2 inch drop. will i need to modify the front end? I'd like to still have a resonable ride quality and don't want to have to go down the air bag route. Nay advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
JK
Trev

Re: Wanting EK real low

Post by Trev »

For the front the drop spindles are a start, then you could use lowered heavy duty springs from someone like Pedders.
Steering might be an issue.

You could try this for the rear.
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 24&t=11893

I recon you will get pretty close but to get it lower than mine with 14/75/195 tyres you could stick with 13/75/175 tyres, they will get it at least an inch lower.
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
ek amigo

Post by ek amigo »

its a good question ,especially the front, I have 2 in drop spindles on a Hr front with HQ calipers and rotors , you can adjust the height by spring choice, the big problem is tyre rub . Sometime in the future I think I will get P76 rotors which brings the track in about 16 mm each side , I think this will allow to go a bit lower, but you have to be careful with tie rod ends and steering arms. the other factors are wheel and tyre size. Just be careful you can waste a bit of money in this area. A lot of research, and help from the forum is needed . good luck
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Mines fairly low and it's just low springs and an HR frontend, ride is average but I'm used to it. The best way would be as Trev and ek amigo said. Dropped spindles and then lowered springs to get down to where you want it. You'll most likely need to play around with the offset of the front rims to avoid tyre rub.

Another method would be to channel the front end so it mounts up higher dropping the front. Mick aka Ratbox has done this before i think, but I don't know if he'll chime in as he's not posting anymore. Try pm'ing him.
searsy

Re:

Post by searsy »

Devilrod wrote:Mines fairly low and it's just low springs and an HR frontend, ride is average but I'm used to it. The best way would be as Trev and ek amigo said. Dropped spindles and then lowered springs to get down to where you want it. You'll most likely need to play around with the offset of the front rims to avoid tyre rub.

Another method would be to channel the front end so it mounts up higher dropping the front. Mick aka Ratbox has done this before i think, but I don't know if he'll chime in as he's not posting anymore. Try pm'ing him.

Follow the above then make sure you under stand how the backspace of the rim works when ordering your new rims.
NZ_EK

Post by NZ_EK »

I'm planning on running steels of some sort, nothing very wide or anything. By the sounds of it I should be able to get resonably low on drop spindles ans springs. Who would you guys use for spindles? I tried a rod shop in Auckland but their price seemed pretty expensive, might be cheaper to get some from your side of the ditch.
(AUST)Mod
State: WA

Post by (AUST)Mod »

CRS or Stubtech are the only suppliers I know of.

I use CRS spindles in my FB
Craig wrote: Andrew you have a red so I wouldn't race it :wink:

STANLEY

Post by STANLEY »

Used to be a guy around the forum that knew heaps about very low EK's wasnt there :wink:
ekwags62

Post by ekwags62 »

Trev wrote:For the front the drop spindles are a start, then you could use lowered heavy duty springs from someone like Pedders.
Steering might be an issue.

You could try this for the rear.
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 24&t=11893

I recon you will get pretty close but to get it lower than mine with 14/75/195 tyres you could stick with 13/75/175 tyres, they will get it at least an inch lower.
I've read somewhere with dropped spindles you need to run larger rims 13s will rub.
STANLEY

Post by STANLEY »

mine dont.
DeadSled
State: QLD

Post by DeadSled »

What are you doing for the rear end mate?

I just called my local Autobarn earlier and it turns out you can get a 2", 3" and 4" block kit for them. I'd imagine 4" blocks would slam the ass end.. :D
Nick.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

DeadSled wrote:What are you doing for the rear end mate?

I just called my local Autobarn earlier and it turns out you can get a 2", 3" and 4" block kit for them. I'd imagine 4" blocks would slam the ass end.. :D
It would also play merry hell with the scrub line :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I started with nothing and still have most of it left.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
NZ_EK

Post by NZ_EK »

2 inch blocks are the biggest that are legal in nz.
Are there any project threads of EK's that have had the front channeled? pretty keen to get some idea's on how people have done it before I decide wether or not to go down that route
Thommo

Post by Thommo »

Replace the HR front end chassis mounts (2" high) with FB-EK ones,(flat)
reposition the front snout to accommodate, shorten springs to achieve ride height.
Add dropped spindles to 'lay rail' if desired

The shock towers will need to protrude through the inner fenders a little.
They could be boxed over, or just left as is.

Cheers
Jeff
dave a

Post by dave a »

my ek sits pretty, i got my rear springs reset two and a half inches lower, cost a couple of hundred but rides well. the front are 2 inch low pedders 8) 8) 8)
BUILT NOT BOUGHT