So you think setting up triples is hard ?????

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

choppedfan
State: NOT ENTERED

So you think setting up triples is hard ?????

Post by choppedfan »

Setting up triple strombergs is a bit trickier than twins but how do you think this guy will go with six strombergs on a straight eight Buick engine, I've been watching the build on Ozrodders. He has made the manifold himself and it looks neat and tidy, I wonder how many will be functional carbies and the others for show.

Now I can see why the old 1 1/32" Strombergs are getting harder to find :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mick 8)
Attachments
img0283ds.jpg
img0283ds.jpg (235.65 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
Stygian
State: NSW

Re: So you think setting up triples is hard ?????

Post by Stygian »

Mick,

A British racing legend of the 1930s was Freddie Dixon, whom raced the Riley six cylinder cars which were the forerunners of the ERAs. He used to regularly beat other competitors who couldn't figure out how he balanced and tuned the 6 Amal carbs on his engines so brilliantly. It turned out that he used to get the car warm, then take off the exhaust manifold when it was dark, then adjust the carbs by getting all six flames from the exhaust ports equal length and colour (the Rileys had a 12 port crossflow hemi head).

I somehow don't this would work on a Buick straight eight!

Here's Dixon racing in the 1936 International Trophy

And here's the engine (today)
bootlegger

Post by bootlegger »

Tuning the carb on a rolls royce merlin usually involves sending the carb away to be flow tested on a proper machine. The manual actually shows you how to do it in the field in the dark the same way. Luckily mine is set up fine.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Mmmm...multiple Strombergs...

Ask a silly question:

The EK wagon is getting the small block Chev treatment, and for the time being is running a 600 Holley carb. Idea for now is to keep it simple, get it on the road and then play later. I've got a hankering though for multiple carbs, and a sweet spot for Strommies. The silly idea running around in the back of my head is to run something like six BXOV-1's (6X1). They'll probably run worse than the Holley, but this wagon is not a candidate for Horsepower Heros (if I wanted that, I'd buy something easier to muck around with... albiet less fun). Anyone got any thoughts (or seen) a SBC running multiple B-model Strommies? Interested to hear views on what would be a good starter manifold to either retap on adapter plate. Multiple EE Strommie manifolds (94/97's) are common, but flange is way different.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Stygian

Post by Stygian »

Harv, V8s don't tend to suffer the fuel distribution problems that inline six cylinder engines do. I reckon a quad downdraft Weber setup looks the business on a V8, and you actually have a carb per cylinder anyway with Webers.
Cal

Post by Cal »

A mate used to have a 351 that had 8 single barrel Carter carbies. Looked nice and all that, but they were a bitch to tune, and to actually keep in tune
vmx-mxr

Post by vmx-mxr »

Check this out Harv - nice and low, and holy crap just imagine what the end result would be !!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Inglese-Alu ... 2c62b47a91

Something like this I expect ............ :shock:

http://sbctango.activeboard.com/t427386 ... all-block/

Too Coowell !!!!!!!!!!

Dave Mac :D
Harv

Post by Harv »

Cheers Dave :thumbsup:

There's an evil part of me that is mentally drawing up a set of eight 90-degree elbows to mount Strommies on that manifold. It would probably run like a bag of poo, but it sure would be fun to play with :ebiggrin:

Cheers,
Harv.
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.