My bagged EK - Final trim fitted......

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

FCCOOL
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by FCCOOL »

did someone tune those carbs on a dyno or anything, could be a old coil or something but it could be the chokes adjusted down too far, what i mean is maybe the main jets are sitting too low making it run rich down low.
Save the big prawn http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/bigprawnballina/

http://kustomkulture.freeforums.org/fc-wagon-with-canted-quads-t14.html
FCCOOL

Post by FCCOOL »

if its a heat issue you could also try header wrap as a alternative to or with a heat shield, i have header wrap on mine, you can even buy heat shield wrap for your fuel line.
Save the big prawn http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/bigprawnballina/

http://kustomkulture.freeforums.org/fc-wagon-with-canted-quads-t14.html
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

yeah the header wrap is a good option, i have it on my 202 and i can touch the pipes for a few seconds before its too hot .... do that on a normal pipe and you'd be blistering up!

not sure weather its going to be the easier option or making a heat sheild.
Regards,

Sammy.

http://www.oldholdens.com
Ken

Post by Ken »

wbtonner wrote:
V8EK4us wrote:
EKK001 wrote:Oh yeah..!
Strangely enough, I totally do remember that, coming down past Maccas and Carlovers there..

What you heard, was probably me trying to keep the revs up to prevent it from stalling...

Have been having a couple of issues:

Engine starts perfectly when cold, runs like an absolute dream... Engine warms up, still runs fine.. Drive it for 15-20 minutes, no problems...
Turn it off. Try and start it again, nothing. It will turn over and over but just wont fire... You have to wait like half an hour for things to cool back down again before you can start it....

So I have been super paranoid about it stalling mid-traffic hence the revving...
It sounds like the fuel is vapourizing after you turn it off, this is not uncommon and considering that the exhaust headers is directly below the carbs I would say it is a 90% chance that this is the problem. You may need a heat sheild. Do you have an electric fuel pump at the tank?
Hi Gaz and Sammy

Paul's Dad here, Yes we have changed the ign module and coil and no change to symptoms. Yes there is spark when it wont start. Another symptom is that when the car sits at idle when the engine is really hot it starts to hesitate and stall, which also I think is fuel vaporisation.

A couple of things we have been told is to install a heat shield and another was to have install a small header tank for fuel higher than the carbs so that there is a head pressure of fuel sitting at the carbs.

Gaz, we still have the mech fuel pump, do you think (or know) if a electric fuel pump would help. I was actually thinking about a electric pump over the weekend. Trying everything we can to sort it, but trying not to spend money if we don't have to. Also, do you have a suggestion for what we could do for a heatshield, materials??? Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers Woody
I have a similar setup with similar problems. I'm running an electric fuel pump in the boot, with no pressure problems, although i have heard of people hookin up a head tank with such setups before.
I think a mechanical holden pump is good for about 6psi? should be enough for the job one would think, maybe a high flow mechanical pump would save the day
I def get fuel purge on a hotter day, its like a flat spot 2/3 throttle and up, number 1 carb sits right on the number 1 extractor.
OLSKULE (another perth member) has same setup with same troubles, but he installed a heat shield as follows:

I myself am still perservering (sp) its ok with this kinda weather..
I also get pre ignition and problem starting in the heat.

Hope this helps!

Ken
Ken

Post by Ken »

BTW EKK001 love the tubes! really suits.

the shortys look good, i might get a set myself.

if ya get a chance to post a pic with the socks lets see!! 8)

Ken
fb cruisin
State: NSW

Post by fb cruisin »

wbtonner wrote:
V8EK4us wrote:
EKK001 wrote:Oh yeah..!
Strangely enough, I totally do remember that, coming down past Maccas and Carlovers there..

What you heard, was probably me trying to keep the revs up to prevent it from stalling...

Have been having a couple of issues:

Engine starts perfectly when cold, runs like an absolute dream... Engine warms up, still runs fine.. Drive it for 15-20 minutes, no problems...
Turn it off. Try and start it again, nothing. It will turn over and over but just wont fire... You have to wait like half an hour for things to cool back down again before you can start it....

So I have been super paranoid about it stalling mid-traffic hence the revving...
It sounds like the fuel is vapourizing after you turn it off, this is not uncommon and considering that the exhaust headers is directly below the carbs I would say it is a 90% chance that this is the problem. You may need a heat sheild. Do you have an electric fuel pump at the tank?
Hi Gaz and Sammy

Paul's Dad here, Yes we have changed the ign module and coil and no change to symptoms. Yes there is spark when it wont start. Another symptom is that when the car sits at idle when the engine is really hot it starts to hesitate and stall, which also I think is fuel vaporisation.

A couple of things we have been told is to install a heat shield and another was to have install a small header tank for fuel higher than the carbs so that there is a head pressure of fuel sitting at the carbs.

Gaz, we still have the mech fuel pump, do you think (or know) if a electric fuel pump would help. I was actually thinking about a electric pump over the weekend. Trying everything we can to sort it, but trying not to spend money if we don't have to. Also, do you have a suggestion for what we could do for a heatshield, materials??? Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers Woody
I ran a similar set up in a LC GTR a long time ago, when fuel was cheap :wink: and it use to starve for fuel so I put in a mechanical pump from a blue motor which was a higher pressure and didn't have any problems anymore.

Post by Sammy »

mechanical pump is good for 6psi maybe but what rpm does the engine have to be doing for it to get to that psi ?
Regards,

Sammy.

http://www.oldholdens.com
V8EK4us

Post by V8EK4us »

Sammy wrote:mechanical pump is good for 6psi maybe but what rpm does the engine have to be doing for it to get to that psi ?
Exactly why I suggested an electric pump at the tank.........
EKK001

Post by EKK001 »

Will definitely look into the electric fuel pump...
I have ordered some exhaust wrap from Rocket, it says it reduces under bonnet temp by 70% which is huge.. I am expecting big things...
I am hoping it works as i dont really like the idea/look of the heat shield...

Any recommendations on brand of fuel pump Gaz?
EKK001

Re: My bagged EK - Final trim fitted......

Post by EKK001 »

Good news, no great news!
Problem has been sorted and we did 100 trouble free miles today!

Last week we started by wrapping the headers in heat wrap, that did cut A LOT of heat in the engine bay and through the floor in the cabin but the problem persisted...

Then Dad had a heatshield made up.

Then we installed some spacer blocks between the carbs and the manifold...

Threw them all together and came up with this, added a proper triple choke cable from an XU1, had everything re-tuned, and presto, purring like a kitten.

ALso got my front wheels sorted and got my tooth back from the gold platers. It's subtle, you have to do a double-take.
Also added a piece of moulding to the spats to break up the lines a bit. Front guard moulding from a standard, (I could be wrong about that).

One very happy individual. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thommo

Post by Thommo »

EKK001 wrote:One very happy individual. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
And so you should be :wink:
That is one outstanding car 8) 8) 8)
Congrtaulations

No cruise the friggin wheels of it :)

Oh, just before you do, please undo the three fuel lines to the carbies
and turn the fittings around so we cant see those hose clamps,
then it will be perfect :wink:

Cheers
Jeff
my70wg

Post by my70wg »

words cannot describe how much i love this car.....it just went from awesome to.....i dont know whats better than that....but it is

top job 8)

the only thing that ruins this car is how tight your jeans are.. :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

aidan...
i'll get there....
EKK001

Post by EKK001 »

they're my loose pair.....? :? :? :?
kiid61

Post by kiid61 »

This car looks Sooooo awesome man, well done.

8) 8)
http://www.facebook.com/60minus
EKK001

Post by EKK001 »

kiid61 wrote:This car looks Sooooo awesome man, well done.

8) 8)
Thanks man, now get back to work cramming those 22's under your guards.... I cant wait to see them.