1962 ek ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Mattrix
State: NOT ENTERED

1962 ek ute

Post by Mattrix »

Hi all, first posts on here! First of all great forum, I have spent hours reading some of the posts and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I am lucky enough to be the pround owner of 1962 ek ute. Actually I tell a lie. 10 years ago a met a girl and started seeing her a bit. It wasn't til a few weeks after that I found out that her daily driver was an awesome ute! Long story short, the ek was her first car, were are now married and she has Ve SS wagon to ferry our two beautiful kids around. The ute has been in the shed for a couple of years and I get it out on the odd occasion to give it a wash. I've noticed a few bits of cancer popping up and think it's about time to do a bit of work on it and start driving it on a regular occasion.

It's still in reasonable nick but rust bubbles are coming up in the usual spots with this being the worst of it.

Maybe you guys could tell me a bit about this car from the plate and add it to your database.

It has a 202 red motor, 3 speed auto( would it be a hydomatic or a trimatic) and HR front end.
Looking forward to chatting to you guys about our car and hearing about yours and also getting some hint and tips from your wealth of knowledge.

Cheers
Matt
Trev

Re: 1962 ek ute

Post by Trev »

Welcome Matt, sweet looking ute.
With the red 6 it would most likely be running a trimatic.
Body 0245 = Strata Blue.
Trev 8) .
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

G'day Matrix,

To sort out the trimatic vs. hydramatic question, have a read here: http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=14578
, then stick your head underneath and take a look at the pan gasket shape. No getting under cars without jack stands though... the world has few enough FB/EK enthusiasts in it as it is :D .

Cheers,
Harv.
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Mick
State: NSW

Post by Mick »

trev's right being a red is more than likely tri but you never know :shock:
much easier than getting under the car :roll: if the sequence of gears go park, reverse, neutral, drive it's tri :thumbsup: hydra reverse is at the oposite end of the gear selection from park :ewink:
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
MeFB

Post by MeFB »

That certainly is a nice looking ute and will hopefully bring you a lot of satisfaction getting her back into shape and out on the road regularly again.

Are you planning on just fixing up any problem areas on the ute, or are you going to make some changes?

:arrow: :D
Alan
Member No.1 of the FB EK Holden Car Club of WA (Woo-hoo :D sweet!)
Mattrix

Post by Mattrix »

MeFB wrote:That certainly is a nice looking ute and will hopefully bring you a lot of satisfaction getting her back into shape and out on the road regularly again.

Are you planning on just fixing up any problem areas on the ute, or are you going to make some changes?

Thanks for the comments! I would love to strip this down fully and rebuild but don't really have the money to spend at the moment. I might just try to fix the rust for now and get it back on the road. Does anyone know if I can get a patch panel for the rust in the photo ( just behind drivers/ passengers door)?
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

G'day Matt, welcome to the forum mate - more sandgropers the better :ebiggrin:

That panel is a pretty easy one to fab up mate , the scary part is whats going to be behind it once you cut it out ......... :shock:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Mattrix

Post by Mattrix »

Blacky wrote:G'day Matt, welcome to the forum mate - more sandgropers the better :ebiggrin:

That panel is a pretty easy one to fab up mate , the scary part is whats going to be behind it once you cut it out ......... :shock:
Thanks blacky. Where do I start. Do I ; pull the loose bits of rust off, start sanding the paint back to metal and see where the corrosion ends cut that piece out and fab a new piece, weld that in, smooth it back, prime and paint??
MeFB

Post by MeFB »

Sorry if I sound like your Mum, but consider getting the car up on ramps or a hoist and look for rust in the sub-frame and fix those areas before tackling the cosmetic stuff. Also give the mechanicals and electrics a good eyeball to make sure it will pass its rego inspection. It would be a shame if you put a lot of time and energy into the car just to have it fail going over the pits because it needed work done to make it safe :thumbsup:

Or just sell it and buy a sedan or wagon so that wifey and the tin-lids can share the fun :D

Alan
Mattrix

Post by Mattrix »

MeFB wrote:Sorry if I sound like your Mum, but consider getting the car up on ramps or a hoist and look for rust in the sub-frame and fix those areas before tackling the cosmetic stuff. Also give the mechanicals and electrics a good eyeball to make sure it will pass its rego inspection. It would be a shame if you put a lot of time and energy into the car just to have it fail going over the pits because it needed work done to make it safe :thumbsup:

Or just sell it and buy a sedan or wagon so that wifey and the tin-lids can share the fun :D

Underneath is in great shape. I don't have to worry about the rego inspection as I haven't let the ergo run out while it's been parked up in the shed. Electrics and motor are fine so it's just the cosmetics and some rain leaking in that I need to fix. Do I cut that panel out and go to a panel beater to get them to roll me a replacement panel that matches??
MeFB

Post by MeFB »

That's really good news about the structure of the car and the rego still being up to date :thumbsup:

I'm not sure it's a good idea to take to your car with an angle grinder. My advice would be to just get the panel professionally repaired unless you're very keen to have a crack at it yourself, but then again, I do have fingers of butter and fists of ham and an inglorious history of DIY failures that make me hesitate to do this sort of work at home... :lol: Maybe you'll be better at it :wink:

Alan
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Have a go yourself - its only steel , if you bugger it up cut it out and have another go , its the best way to learn. :thumbsup:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.