Rusty EK,s Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

EKjimmy
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: Rusty EK,s Ute

Post by EKjimmy »

it's a handy tool to have.
maybe some FC special fin extensions to get the look you want? might need some modifying to fit though
'The best engine in the world is a vagina. It can be started with only one finger. It is self-lubricating. It takes any size piston. And it changes it's own oil every four weeks. It is a pity that the management system is so f*$king temperamental.'
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

i'm also a little sus on the cab extension but it's not my car :) 8) but the work that's been done is AWSOME especially with what you started with, i like the headlight peaks not keen on the tail lights an idea i had for tail lights was cadillac, not the bullets see if you can find pics of streatneat's FC sedan they're the type i'm thinking of
Rusty EK

Post by Rusty EK »

Thanks Ratbox, the cab grows on you , just went and had another look at streetneats FC , the tail lights look good on that car , dont know if they would suit the ute either , might leave well enough alone , tail lights can look shocking if you get it wrong.
vintageholden

Post by vintageholden »

love the idea of tail light in the tailgate
any better photos of the rear...
Rusty EK

Post by Rusty EK »

G,day vintageholden, will take one for you tomorrow
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

Rusty EK wrote:Thanks Ratbox, the cab grows on you , tail lights can look shocking if you get it wrong.
it does, you've explained yor reasons before i think i'de like it as i said with longer doors and a window, yor spot on with the tail lights being hit and miss
Sputzwagon

Post by Sputzwagon »

I agree with the headlight extension (as I've done this on mine :wink: ) and it suits them very well. 8)
..as for the tail light..maybe you should attack it from a different angle.
I've a few ideas on this & will sketch up a few soon..

Scotty.
[img]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg211/scottyharrod/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No 2
Rusty EK

Post by Rusty EK »

G,day Sputzwagon , love your car ,love the subtle changes but still keeping it EK , love your artwork too 8) , this is what i am kind of looking for , love the shape of the EK, dont want any radical changes to body shape , but just put a personal slant on it
Sputzwagon

Post by Sputzwagon »

Here's two ideas I've had in my head for god knows how long, Rusty..
Diagram 1: uses fb/ek tail fin tops upside down with the indicator at the bottom and the reversing lens painted red for brake/tail light.
Diagram 2: turns the standard FE/FC light also upside down and gives it a little 55 Chev look..
Both these would require a bit of bodywork fiddling (no biggie for you :wink: ),but uses my technique keep it original looking but custom at the same time. 8)

Scotty.
[img]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg211/scottyharrod/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Rusty EK

Post by Rusty EK »

Scotty, your a clever bugger aren't you , am going to have another look at this tomorrow night , sit there with a Beam can and stare for a while , have to scrounge around and see if I can find a sedan light now.
Bigbird

Post by Bigbird »

If you are going to all the trouble of reworking the rear guards then there are many other options than using the FE/FC tail lights which may end up looking like an afterthought regardless of the amount of time you spend on the mod.

You may be better off either "frenching" tail lights into the pan area below the tail gate, or using a tail light housing off something like a 55 Buick, or 58 Desoto, or even an early 70's Caddy for a truly unique rear end. What you are doing is so left of centre why confine yourself to only using the standard tail lights.

Unfortunately I am no good with photoshop, but maybe one of the other guys can help with some ideas.

Been enjoying watching this thread, and am looking forward to seeing the finished product in the flesh one day.
www.drive1.net.au
www.thedrive1team.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/pages/Melbourne-Australia/The-Drive-1-Team/401541923693?ref=ts
Rusty EK

Post by Rusty EK »

G,day Bigbird , hmmm 55 Desoto , nearly the same as the Ute lights but different , back on to ebay again :roll: not sure what the 58 looks like , if they are the same or not , will google them this arvo when I get a bit more time

How is your rebuild coming along ??
Sputzwagon

Post by Sputzwagon »

Yes...Bigbird...I do agree that there are numerous amount of custom options out there for rear lights. 8) And yes, 'frenching' in the lights is a very good custom touch. 8)
The reason I did the above scribbles is I was coming from the by-gone era of 1960's Australian customs, where over-seas parts were extremely hard to acquire if not impossible (especially American bits!), and most blokes used what was easily at hand.

With that said, there are still several hundred parts out there that can be used, think of all the 'other brand' cars in this country that were around at the time, from not just Australia but many British & European models had some very useful & clever shapes as well, in fact that there are still many examples rusting away in paddocks right now that would make fantastic 'donor cars' for custom parts. I always had a 'soft spot' for Vauxhall Velox ute side 'bee hive' lights...(not necessarily for your ute Rusty) but a great shape all the same! 8)

I think it was the limited availability of parts that set many of the 60's &70's Aussie Custom's apart form their American cousins that made them unique....and very cool in lots of cases as well. 8) 8) 8)

Scotty.
Rusty EK

Post by Rusty EK »

Should be working , but what about this , still EK but sort of like a Caddy long and thin ??

Chop and weld two together :D

One for brake and tail , one for indicator and one for reverse .

What sort of magic can you do with that Sputzwagon?? :D :D

Wife said if I weld those other hideous things on , she will go down and cut them off with the chainsaw :evil: :evil:
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

are the taillight/brake light lenses the same width top and bottom ? turn the top one upside down then join them at the stop/tai light, so you end up with reverse light/blinker, big brake/tail light, reverse light/blinker