WALLY'S EK

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

FJWALLY
State: VIC

Re: WALLY'S EK

Post by FJWALLY »

gpi wrote:do you get a manual column for the ezps conversion?
Yeah Ive got the whole unit BUT they didnt refurb the box so Ive got it with roger but he’s really anti doing it so I might send it back to ezps to refurb as they have to cut a collette off to get main shaft out - long story but its not ready - Roger seams to think I have to reinforce the k frame - which is possible but wont know until I try it - would only be a matter of cutting a section out and adding a plate behind it then replacing the section - annoying but very doable - ezps dont think I will need to at all - just pushed it yo the side for now but will get back on it soon - kit looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You will find me lost somewhere!
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

At the very least i would be fitting a brace from the box to the subframe
I started with nothing and still have most of it left.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Yes i have the brace already in place - the EZPS is a bit different to the older style power assist units in that the gearing and motors and sensors are far more sensitive and refined so the torque is more even and balanced to better mimic the same forces a human would exert so it should not flex anything more than normal steering wheel operation - just takes the load off the driver
Anyway thats a longer term project I doubt will be ready before Nationals.
Blacky wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:55 pm At the very least i would be fitting a brace from the box to the subframe
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Nice little pick up today - not sure wether to give it a blow over with rattle can or just leave as is - thoughts? Will only go on for static display as mesh very fragile but zero holes is amazing as it has clearly been used ImageImageImageImage

FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Flipped the guard spears so they are right way up Imaget

Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Nice accessory Rob. Pity you can't use it in anger. Guard spears like good.

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Errol62 wrote:Nice accessory Rob. Pity you can't use it in anger. Guard spears like good.

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk
Cheers mate - was a very lucky find - it be a great addition to the dress up kit

rosco

Post by rosco »

Blacky wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:55 pm At the very least i would be fitting a brace from the box to the subframe
My steering was always vague at the best of times... I bought one of those anchor brackets to fit on top of the steering box cover and attach the subframe.

When Roger H came over, I asked him about it.... his firm opinion was that I didn't need it... providing I "shimmed" the mounts on the box correctly.

When I pulled my column out, as soon as I loosened off the column holder under the dash - the column "leapt" to the right...
I obviously didn't know about shims when I replaced the subframe in 1983.....

I shimmed it up properly this time - shimming until when the three box mounting bolts were tightened up - the column sat dead centre in the under dash support before finally tightening it up to the dash...

I note now that there is zip rolling movement in the box body on the subframe when I move through the entire arc of the steering.... there used to be before.. not much, but it might have accounted for the "vague" in it...
From memory, Roger called this "lost motion".

frats,
Rosco
gpi

Post by gpi »

FJWALLY wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:58 pm so Ive got it with roger but he’s really anti doing it
what a crotchety old fart! he is g.d. modifier!
FJWALLY

WALLY'S EK

Post by FJWALLY »

gpi wrote:
FJWALLY wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:58 pm so Ive got it with roger but he’s really anti doing it
I like Roger and he did a great job on the current box but as soon as i mentioned electric steering it all changed - thats how I see it anyway

gpi

Post by gpi »

FJWALLY wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:57 pm
gpi wrote:
I like Roger and he did a great job on the current box but as soon as i mentioned electric steering it all changed - thats how I see it anyway

exactly! all synchros and trimatics behinds greys! what a noob!
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

I have a very cool vid to share but cant put it here - Arghhh! Hint - puff puff puff

FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

try this link - hope you enjoy

Youtube
https://youtu.be/iP-iVMlvkF0/youtube]
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Got in Touch with Roger - Unfortunately he has had a pretty rough trot with some serious illness but has got through it thankfully.
He dropped the box back to me yesterday after doing a basic tidy up but not a full rebuild which it needs - he couldn't do that as the shaft has a collet on it that cant be removed without grinding - SO I will just try to fit it up and see how it looks and if all works as expected I can take the required steps to either get a new box built up or get this one fixed as best it can be.
Rogers main concern is the flexion in the chassis rail (K-Frame) which is a know issue even with the standard set up but I am hopeful that at worst I could cut out the wall from the wheel well side and insert a C section piece of steel to Stiffen it up and then with the addition of the stiffening bracket that goes on the top of the steering box back to the front clip wall it should eliminate most movement and give a pretty positive result.

So lots more to do before I get a definitive result here guys - sorry.
gpi

Post by gpi »

FJWALLY wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:38 am ...he couldn't do that as the shaft has a collet on it that cant be removed without grinding ...
ok, so there was the reason he didnt want to do, not just being mature.

did he explain where this one came from? is it early or later? any identifying external marks etc...