Clay’s Wedgewood Blue FB Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

Re: Clay’s Wedgewood Blue FB Ute

Post by Errol62 »

Yeah but you load yours up Glen
Anyway, I will revisit when I change boxes. Wedges seem to be readily available through 4wd outlets. They are alloy so easy to cut down if necessary.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

Clay what is the ratio on your rockers from the photo I think I can see 1.5, even though I missed out on the rollers when I bought Franks engine it still has the correct push rods for the cam.
I'm no expert in this regard just thought if you change the ratio of the rocker and you have a little bit of a cam you may need to change pushrods :esurprised:
I agree with Glen The Tremec app is really good and easy to use.
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
The Reverend FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
gledge

Post by gledge »

You would be surprised how much the walk up even with minimal load mate.. you can go zero with 4 link but leafs have to be down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gledge

Post by gledge »

The offset in the tunnel changes things also just to add to the confusion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

1.5 ratio which is same as stock Neil. Won’t be doing anything for a while as now I’m laid up in bed with COVID.

I got the app on my iPad but keeps bringing up an error and doesn’t like the angles. Anyway I will get it on my phone which will fit under the car better.

Currently I have a minor vibration at 100kph same as Frazer.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
fraze
State: VIC

Post by fraze »

Very interested in Gledge’s comments on drive line angle. Simple fact however - with nose of diff down by 3 deg I had vibration in both cars and with nose up no vibration !!!! (At 100kmh)The vibration I had in both cars was quite severe. I will stick with my fix, cheers, Fraze
fraze
State: VIC

Post by fraze »

Hi Clay, I don’t think alloy castor wedges are a good idea. When you insert the wedge between the insulator pad and the axle pad, the “lug” on the insulator pad no longer engages with the hole in the axle pad so you no longer have positive centering. By using steel caster wedges you can tack weld them to the axle pad so keep everything permanently centered.
I bought my caster pads from Industrial Tools and Wedges In NSW. They made up the wedges to my dimensions. ( 110 mm x 70 mm) to match the axle pad, with. 25mm centre hole and 3deg.$35.00 each plus a bit of postage and I had them inside a week which I reckon was a good deal. Fraze
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Thanks Fraze. I reckon Harv posted their Web address and they seemed to have things covered. After I change over to the M15 transmission I will revisit this. My vibration is quite minor. At one stage I was considering that it could be harmonics from the engine, it having spent its early post run in operation mainly around that speed.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Watching this thread closely - we are about to do the old Torana diff mod on my mates EK , I asked him the other day if he had any vibration issues at the moment and he said no ? I was going to kick the front of the diff up a couple of degrees when I welded the saddles on if he had have said yes.

Still seems odd to me that the factory got it wrong when they were new - and if they had, why its taken this long for someone to pick up on it.
I started with nothing and still have most of it left.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
62ekute
State: ACT

Post by 62ekute »

3 degrees each way is usually okay - preferably diff nose down - because, as has been said, it'll come up under load.

I had wedges in the Merc Sprinter before it got the load of the camper conversion - maybe Holden planned of 5 people and luggage in their calculations
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Since this me ute thread not the vibration thread, I'll chip in. Geometry says pinion will tend to nose down as the suspension lowers. Front and or rear, though the front lowering won't affect relative angles. My ute is pretty low. The diff is from an LC and modified by the bloke I bought it from. Previously in an FE ute. Vibration could be something else and it is only slight.

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Errol62 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:33 pm Since this me ute thread not the vibration thread, I'll chip in. Geometry says pinion will tend to nose down as the suspension lowers. Front and or rear, though the front lowering won't affect relative angles. My ute is pretty low. The diff is from an LC and modified by the bloke I bought it from. Previously in an FE ute. Vibration could be something else and it is only slight.

You woulda chipped in anyway .......... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I started with nothing and still have most of it left.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Brett027
State: NSW

Post by Brett027 »

Sounds like you are getting frisky again😄
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Blacky wrote:
Errol62 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:33 pm Since this me ute thread not the vibration thread, I'll chip in. Geometry says pinion will tend to nose down as the suspension lowers. Front and or rear, though the front lowering won't affect relative angles. My ute is pretty low. The diff is from an LC and modified by the bloke I bought it from. Previously in an FE ute. Vibration could be something else and it is only slight.

You woulda chipped in anyway .......... Image Image Image
True

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Brett027 wrote:Sounds like you are getting frisky againImage
More like twitchy Brett.

Friday night one beer and it doesn't taste right at all. Prolly a relapse tomorrow.

EK van on rotisserie