My bagged EK - Final trim fitted......

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

FCCOOL
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by FCCOOL »

updates?
EKK001

Post by EKK001 »

Nothing yet dude, been flat out at work with christmas... will be organising the exhaust early in the new year.... home stretch now..
62cruzin

Post by 62cruzin »

that is awesome , love the car , love what u done to it . i noticed your from newcastle aswell. im currently modifying a ek aswell . I cant believe that colour was close to what i had picked out , way to close , luckly i havent brought it yet..... :D ....lol ...once again awesome car and cant wait to see the final result......
FCCOOL

Post by FCCOOL »

hey paul its been a while, whats going on?
Mick Jagger

Post by Mick Jagger »

pauls dead buried in his kustom coffin
EKK001

Post by EKK001 »

Haha.... not quite dead yet..........
My mate is coming over this afternoon to measure up the exhaust so he can order the mandrel bends...
All glass and rubbers are in..........
Realised i have to re-install seatbelts in the back seat.. i only put in lap whereas i need to have lap/sash.. error on my part...
Time and money.... dont have enough of either at the moment.....
mattymartin

Post by mattymartin »

Hey paul,

Time & money, I'm feelin ya...

Soon to be back on track myself...
Matty martin
go the wagons....
V8EK4us

Post by V8EK4us »

Hey Paul, have you had the airbags etc checked out by an engineer yet??
EKK001

Post by EKK001 »

I had a certain engineer come and check them out about 2 weeks ago... but have since heard on the grapevine that he is under investigation from the RTA and is no longer an approved signatory... and that any report he completes will be null and void...
Some of you may already know him....
But i am actually replacing all 4 airbags with better quality units, as when i first bought them, i wasnt really aware of different grades/quality and it turns out the ones i bought were a bit shit... so im getting 4 new Firestone bags which will give me a bit of peace of mind......

Mistakes (money + time) = -(bank balance x frustration)
FCCOOL

Post by FCCOOL »

how do you know he is definately under investigation?
if you pay to have a car certified and build it to the engineers requirements can the rta expect you to really loose your rego and fork out for another report, after all you are just a innocent car owner who paid for a report, rego and a greenslip.
Ive heard quite alot of people bullshit about engineers, one person says this guy is a good engineer and you ring up and the engineer doesnt know what he is talking about, or someone might say hes a shit engineer, he will make you do heaps of unnecassary stuff and then that engineer seems easy.
i reckon with some of the prices engineers charge that might let things slide on a few cars to get fast cash, especailly if the engineer is charging something like $1100 for a red 6 conversion.
best way to figure out if a engineer is too dodgy, too strict or sensible is to ring up.
i am not sure if bags are legal and what the requirements are for them but i cant see why bags would be completely illegal, you could argue some of the worlds safest cars are fitted with bags from factory, its not like bags will reduce the brilliant handling capabillities of a 1961 holden
the only things i could think of being issues is the door handles and if you havent replaced the rail over the transmission hump with adequate reinforcement.
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

i read a while back on another forum about a couple of engineers atleast one was up yor way that were under investigation, still writing reports (and charging you) but the RTA were not accepting them :? :?
yes as FCCOOL said i've heard some strange requests from engineers

good one i read on the FE/FC forum just tonight, a guy doing a V6 conversion his engineer wants to see an engineers report on a car that's already done so he (the engineer) knows what needs to be done :shock: :? :? :roll:

same thing happened to me i had an engineer ask me what needed to be done to strengthen an EK to make a convertable cause he had a client that wanted to do one :shock: my answer yep mate no worries 1000 bucks thanks :lol: :lol: i'll tell you all you need to know, he's one of those engineers that charges double what he should and wants all that stoopid unessicary stuff
V8EK4us

Post by V8EK4us »

ratbox wrote: good one i read on the FE/FC forum just tonight, a guy doing a V6 conversion his engineer wants to see an engineers report on a car that's already done so he (the engineer) knows what needs to be done :shock: :? :? :roll:

same thing happened to me i had an engineer ask me what needed to be done to strengthen an EK to make a convertable cause he had a client that wanted to do one :shock: my answer yep mate no worries 1000 bucks thanks :lol: :lol: i'll tell you all you need to know, he's one of those engineers that charges double what he should and wants all that stoopid unessicary stuff
Sounds like if that engineers brains were dynamite he wouldn't have enough to blow the wax out of his ears :shock:
EKK001

Post by EKK001 »

Well after hearing this information about the engineer, i called the RTA and asked them what the deal was with signatories..
They said they only accept Engineers reports from engineers listed on the current list of signatories. No one else.
So i guess thats good enough for me...
Apparently the doors are fine because i have kept all the original interior handles and mechanisms so no worries there....
Im going to try Kevin Humphreys down Central Coast way, i have heard good things about him...
matches

Post by matches »

good to hear things are still going in the right direction. if its no go with kevin, give mick a ring. he's very realistic about price and requirements. i asked him what i couldn't really get away with doing to an ek and he said " with the age of these old thing damn near anything goes as long as its strong". he's told me my entire engineers report shouldn't cost more than $700 and he's happy to have photos of your work rather than you having to take the car in to him before you can finish things off. And he is on the current list of signatories for any type of modification which is a big bonus.
good luck with the car, it looks hot!!!!!!!!!!
L&K&K
Last edited by matches on Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FCCOOL

Post by FCCOOL »

whats happening paul?