Betsy, my FB 215

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

nige's FB215
State: NOT ENTERED

Betsy, my FB 215

Post by nige's FB215 »

G'day all,

I though I would chuck some pictures of Betsy up on the forum. She's been in our family for about 30 years and started life as a Colleen Green FB standard sedan. Over the years she has gained a few bits of chrome here and there and a different interior, a red motor and a few other things. I will soon start restoring her to her original condition including replacing the grey motor and removing the chrome fins etc.

ID plate reads as follows:

FB215 2400M
Trim: 508 - 802
Paint: 585 - 9692

Back in the early 80's when I was just getting my license I went through a hooning stage, didn't we all, where I replaced the bench seats with buckets and fitted a you beaut stereo (I think Voxon was all I could afford). I got my first speeding ticket on seven mile beach road (Rob J - 4Hammers will know where that was), took my first girlfriend out once I got my license and broke down plenty of times so Betsy has some good memories and I am looking forward to getting her back on the road.

I am practising on a couple of FCs first to get my eye in.

She normally lives under a tarp this was a special unwrapping for pics

My dad, Ronnie B, did most of the mods out of necessity I suppose to keep her running on a shoestring. I fitted the bonnet clips as the bonnet blew up once. Never thought to fix the bonnet catch.....

Big hips on the old girl, the boot is full of my 'standard' bits including the grey motor.

All the fancy chrome and flash interior will go. There was a Smiths two speed heater but buggered if I know where it went :x

ID plate

Donor door came from an EK we brought for $200 bucks about 20 years ago. It was running and had a good interior, probably should have jacked up the numberplates and replaced the lot at the time. Chromies are a bit worse for wear too.

Just another interior shot. Like the idioit I was at 16, I carved up the dash with gay abandon (well maybe with just abandon :) ) to fit tachos, driving light switches, stereos and a big equalizer thing. I fitted Camira bucket seats at one stage, I think from memory they were hed in by wooden blocks with a long bolt through the floor, god help me :shock:

Anyhoo, I hope to gain some insider knowledge from this forum before Betsy takes her clothes off.

Nige
bexterity

Post by bexterity »

i almost bought an FC! but couldnt find any auto ones for sale :(

how come ur getting rid of the interior??
Thommo

Post by Thommo »

Gday Nige
Great story on your ol'gal 8)
Good to hear you've fallen back in love with her.
It would be fantastic to still have the car that you've had so many memorys in.
Good luck with the rebuild :wink:
Cheers
Jeff
nige's FB215

Post by nige's FB215 »

Thanks Guys,

Bex, there were no FC autos, the first holden auto was the EK, so unless you can find a modified one you will be out of luck. The interior has to go because I want Betsy to look like she did when she rolled off the assembly line. I think that interior came out of an EK special, from memory.

Can anyone tell me or post a photo of the green interior that she would have had. Trim was 508 - 802 which is a single tone green interior but I am having trouble picturing it.

Nige
ek61

Post by ek61 »

looks like its in good nic still 8)

the seat looks like its out of a ej/eh ?

keep us posted on progress pics nige

cheers dave
"THE JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES BEGINS WITH A BROKEN FAN BELT AND A FLAT TYRE"
***just cruise***
nige's FB215

Post by nige's FB215 »

Dave,

I thought it came from an EK, it seems to match the door trims but yeah it looks like it has that double white stripe down the centre. Although this car has been in the family for over 30 years I joined the Army 21 years ago just after we did the EK swap over and my brother drove it for one or two years so maybe he swapped the EK stuff out and got an EJ interior. I will have to ask him. It has been under a tarp and up on blocks for at LEAST 15+ years.

I have been collecting FB standard stuff for it for a couple of years now, things like the painted dash, painted tail lamps etc. Must pull my finger out with the FCs...............

Nige
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Sounds like some good memories there, get her out of the paddock and into a shed and get into it. I think back and like you I did silly things to cars when I was young, I tended to destroy parcel shelves alot and not just in my cars.... :oops: but you have to learn somehow!

Good luck with the resto. great base to start with, at least you know whats been done.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Aussie Bob

Post by Aussie Bob »

Hi Nige, thanks for sharing your great story & pics of another mighty standard. Love Colleen Green!

EJ trim for sure.

Is the whole dash undercoat?

Hope you can get the old girl out of the weather, as from my experience Tarps are not too kind to paint & steel.