Red Rattler Revamp

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Re: Red Rattler Revamp

Post by Blacky »

Finally got a night on the rattler - it’s not looking good for the Nationals now … ImageImage
Started making a mount for the electric water pump, it needs to sit in here , it’s pretty tight there isn’t a lot of room

Figured out a plan then started with the CAD mockup and old tacho was the right size or right enough as it was on the bench right in front of where I was working….

Close enough
Then back in the car a couple of times to figure out the bottom of the mount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Then started on the metal bit

And then made a new fuel pump block off plate and made it longer so I could bolt this to it with rubber mounts

Will finish this bit off tomorrow night- I hope , wasted nearly an hour when I dropped a fkn bolt and it wedged itself in the rack mount - and do you think the bastard would come out???? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Had to pull the rack out and ended up belting it out with a length of 1/2” round bar and a hammer :twisted: :twisted:

When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

You should have gone out and got smashed instead, like I did....

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Brackets done , remade the pump one out of 4mm aluminium as the 1.2mm galv was a bit flimsy

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

gledge

Post by gledge »

Did ya gut the water pump ?

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

gledge wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:50 pm Did ya gut the water pump ?

Not yet but I will ….. starting to wonder if it’s not a good idea to whip the head off and make sure the steam holes line up …..

gledge

Post by gledge »

Yeah I’m thinking something isn’t right in there.. at least check the lash.. maybe tight on the exhausts

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

gledge wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:23 pm Yeah I’m thinking something isn’t right in there.. at least check the lash.. maybe tight on the exhausts

I have 1.6 intake and 1.5 exhaust rockers - Harv said when they first went on shouldn’t they be the other way around and I kinda thought so too but the guy who built the engine swore that’s how it should be , might swap them over

gledge

Post by gledge »

Still wouldn’t think that would make it hot so quick.. also on your break in with the Holley the headers were glowing pretty quick didn’t they? Was the water temp high then as well?

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Yes it was getting hot and as you say the headers were glowing red - haven’t had that issue since the blower went on

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Big day yesterday - fitted the washer nozzle and the top radiator hose ImageImageImage
Hey - at least I did SOMETHING ImageImage

Mick
State: NSW

Post by Mick »

dumb question as i'm sure you would be on top of it, but re your overheating does your radiator have walls (for want of a better description) in the tanks to force the coolant to flow through the radiator seeing as your intake and outlet are on the same side
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Mick wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:44 pm dumb question as i'm sure you would be on top of it, but re your overheating does your radiator have walls (for want of a better description) in the tanks to force the coolant to flow through the radiator seeing as your intake and outlet are on the same side
Yeah mate I checked it with a borescope to make sure it has a divider in it - its not a perfect seal but its mostly there.

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Can timing checked over the weekend and found to be correct- have also tigged a bung into the radiator for the temp sensor to go into and will put an idiot light switch in the back of the head as per original

Had to tap the snout of the crank to fit the degree wheel