Clay’s Wedgewood Blue FB Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Brett027
State: NSW

Re: Clay’s Wedgewood Blue FB Ute

Post by Brett027 »

The ex bureaucrat in me sees Clause 3 and thinks its all over red rover.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Not so. These are not regarded by vehicle standards as a modification to increase power, and they are in fact a factory option. Don’t worry, I made sure of that.

So I started up and drove down driveway and on to tilt tray no problem. Was $50 cash. Aldinga is about 10 km from my place.

Went to drive it on to the hoist and wouldn’t start. A slight water leak evident from the manifold heating outlets which carby man had sealed with “Stag” jointing paste. After much cranking it was evident fuel is pissing from the rear throttle shaft. With no exhaust and the potential for backfire it was decided to garner reinforcements and we pushed it on to the hoist after I had disconnected the battery, fearing a spark.

If it won’t start tomorrow when I pick it up I will have to spend some more on the tilt tray which doesn’t bother me. I will be going back to carby man for “further advice”.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Good news about your add-ons Clay.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Thanks Brett.

I drove the ute down the driveway and on to the tilt tray. Rolled it off at the exhaust shop. Went to start it to drive on to the hoist. Wouldn't start and fuel pissing out everywhere, so disconnected the battery and rolled it on.

Two days later Raff and I went with jumper leads etc. They had to take the exhaust manifolds off and replace the flange studs, which had been cut short, too short to take my fancy sonic injection flange plates. Ute started first pop but the idle was low and stalled. Fuel pissing out everywhere. Bumped up the idle, foot to floor and got it going. Home and safe in the shed to work out what is going on. There may be some swarf in the needle and seat valves or a bung float. Also the manifold waternecks flanges are leaking, so maybe some gaskets needed.

Very happy with the new pipe, which is a straight through muffler and 2" tail pipe. Martin the guru at work:Image

FB ute driver, EK van project

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Not as sexy as the old one but sounds better. May be should have got him to cut it on the angle.Image

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Found the problem with fuel leaking or at least part of it. Hot idle relief valve on the rear carb is sitting up on the accelerator pump plunger, which is also riding high.Image

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

The rod is in the centre hole but the lever is rotated upward relative to the front carb, thereby pushing the pump rod up.

I had to adjust the W clip to re-sync the throttles, after fumbling around trying to set up the cable linkage. The shaft linking the two carbs is s funky affair I'm not entirely familiar with, and appears yo be held on by a small grub screw. I speculate that the grub screw had let go due yo my fumbling, somehow taking the lever with it. Rear carb will have to come off. I don't think I can pin this on the carby rebuilder.ImageImage

EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Clay, did you angle the tailpipe because that's how they normally ran from factory or you like it there? It looks good.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Harv

Post by Harv »

The vent valve is a looooong way up the carb. Might splash up there if you are rallycrossing, but should be pretty dry at idle. Might be pizzling from somewhere else.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Bit of both Brett. Though not really stock looking as it crosses over the spring above the axle, which keeps it well away from the fuel tank. Under the crash box mount is a bit low for my liking and I may revise this after gearbox change.

Good point Harv. I will run again with filters off so I can get a better view but it is splashing out. May be combined with a jammed needle. The float looked alright.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Quite right Harv. It is escaping at a significant rate at slow idle, not in start up but after about 40 -60 second estimated. Appears to be in the vicinity of the front side of the throttle shaft.Image

EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Might be worth checking your float for leaks if you haven't done so already Clay. I had a leaking float on Wilma that sent fuel down onto the throttle body.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Yeah Brett. I'll take the leads and air horns off and crank up the pressure. Back one will have to come off anyway to sort the grub screw on the shaft and line up the pump lever etc.

Meanwhile, this is my solution to coolant leak from the msnifold hose nipples. He had Stag on them. I'm not sure it is the right thing with water.Image

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Well I'll isolate the coil anyway.

EK van on rotisserie
62ekute
State: ACT

Post by 62ekute »

Hi Clay, if oil resistant gasket maker doesn't do the job, permatex do a coolant resistant one. Tiny tube - Repco usually have to order it in. Patrick

https://www.repco.com.au/en/car-care-pa ... gLcpPD_BwE