WALLY'S EK

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Re: WALLY'S EK

Post by Blacky »

We tried to get it to run , if we did we were gonna make a tarp out of plywood with it sticking out and get some “SLO bak “ stickers made up 🤣 but it had 5 stuck valves and the Penetrene and hammer trick wouldn’t work
I started with nothing and still have most of it left.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
FJWALLY
State: VIC

Post by FJWALLY »

Looks like it’s octopus for tea Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You will find me lost somewhere!
gpi

Post by gpi »

migrating west :lol:
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

gpi wrote:migrating west :lol:
This one came from the north - or at least mid east

FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Replaced Brake cylinders - They look like rare spares cylinders - not very old but corrosion already an issue and left rear leaking past the pistons - replaced with rares again but stainless sleeved from the mob in SA - tried one of those vaccum brake bleeders from repco - useless - dont waste your money - will wait until I get a helper to sit in and pump while its in the hoist - need the master working or fluid doesnt pull down properly ImageImageImage

Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Speculate you got some old brake fluid in the system to get that corrosion so soon after rebuild Rob. I hate messing with brake hydraulics yuk touch wood. Not sure what you mean about the master cylinder working. You mean it needs to be pumped perhaps. Disappointing the vacuum bleeder didn’t work seeing was my suggestion oops!

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Errol62 wrote:Speculate you got some old brake fluid in the system to get that corrosion so soon after rebuild Rob. I hate messing with brake hydraulics yuk touch wood. Not sure what you mean about the master cylinder working. You mean it needs to be pumped perhaps. Disappointing the vacuum bleeder didn’t work seeing was my suggestion oops!

Completely new system - lines - hoses - canisters so all brand new dot 3 - I’m going to flush it through regardless with dot 4 as it handles heat a bit better - has not done many miles since rebuild is most likely why corrosion set in - the issue with the bleeder is it pulls fluid so will find air from any source so I think it sucks it past bleeder thread even with a gasket goo on thread - it’s not a positive system

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Thought about using dot 5 in my car. Definitely will solve the corrosion issue as long as you are thorough in removing all trace of dot4, including replacing all rubber components. I’m sure you know this. Some don’t like dot 5. Not sure why but I believe you will need to be very thorough in getting any air out of the system for it to work well.

EK van on rotisserie
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Dot 4 works well

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Oh sorry thought you said dot5 the silicone based fluid.

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I’m surprised you used dot3 originally but isn’t the only advantage of dot4 a higher boiling point? Maybe has some better corrosion inhibitors, but they are both ethelene glycol based and therefore hygro-scopic.

EK van on rotisserie
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

I didnt get to do the brakes when it went back together or I would have gone synthetic

Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Errol62 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:47 pm I’m surprised you used dot3 originally but isn’t the only advantage of dot4 a higher boiling point? Maybe has some better corrosion inhibitors, but they are both ethelene glycol based and therefore hygro-scopic.
Dot 3, 4 and 5.1 are glycol, each with better boiling point. Viscosities vary a little too. Can mix them. Dot 5 is the evil silicone cousin. Can’t mix, and can’t use with ABS.

Rob taught me a simple lesson - steel wheel cylinders do not like sitting idle, no matter how good the fluid is. Stainless cylinders are much more tolerant, even with glycol fluid.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
gpi

Post by gpi »

Harv wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:54 pm
Errol62 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:47 pm I’m surprised you used dot3 originally but isn’t the only advantage of dot4 a higher boiling point? Maybe has some better corrosion inhibitors, but they are both ethelene glycol based and therefore hygro-scopic.
Dot 3, 4 and 5.1 are glycol, each with better boiling point. Viscosities vary a little too. Can mix them. Dot 5 is the evil silicone cousin. Can’t mix, and can’t use with ABS.

Rob taught me a simple lesson - steel wheel cylinders do not like sitting idle, no matter how good the fluid is. Stainless cylinders are much more tolerant, even with glycol fluid.

Cheers,
Harv
^^ this. get your wheel cylinders stainless sleeved! otherwise they rust sitting on the shelves...
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

gpi wrote:
Harv wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:54 pm

Cheers,
Harv
^^ this. get your wheel cylinders stainless sleeved! otherwise they rust sitting on the shelves...
Yep - that was the purpose of the excercise - swap out rusting unsleeved cylinders with bright shiny new sleeved ones - a good bleed when I get an extra foot on the pedal and all good.
I did notice though the rears are backed right back to the cylinder and drums are still touching - is this normal or has an incorrect component slipped in - front has a couple turns off fully backed off - I’ll have to run it around and wear the pads down a bit to get it fully freed up - just seams odd - was same before replacing