Leroy the EK Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

thebrotherj
State: NSW

Re: Leroy the EK Ute

Post by thebrotherj »

EK283 wrote:Hey Joe,

Great pad mate, I love the industrial style living but my bones dont like the cold any more !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great to see that ute chuffing away like its meant to, you have certainly put it to good use.

Regards Greg
It’s a few degrees warmer overnight here in the concrete jungle than where you are I’m quite sure!! I’m guessing you’ve got frosts at the moment?
But it’s a little chilly later on, yes. No drafts though and surprisingly comfortable with full insulation above. Bedrooms are sealed off and cosy.

Progress on the sedan looks real good, I’ll pop in again soon and say hi.
Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FJWALLY
State: VIC

Post by FJWALLY »

Don't need 3 phase these days - most of the newer chinese stuff is all single phase - have a look at classic lifts - very happy with the quality of mine - 4 tonne and 4.5m height for 3600 - there are a few auto workshops using them now and seam to be very reliable as they are very simple but have all the safety features
thebrotherj wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:32 am
Errol62 wrote:Looks like the ultimate batch’ pad Joe. Nice piccie. I do love a bit of urban cowboy psycho-billy swing action. Good to hear Leroy is giving good service.
Cheers
Clay
Thanks mate :) Best bit is three phase power at the workshop end. When finances recover, I’m on the lookout for a two post hoist...

You will find me lost somewhere!
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

FJWALLY wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:20 pm Don't need 3 phase these days - most of the newer chinese stuff is all single phase - have a look at classic lifts - very happy with the quality of mine - 4 tonne and 4.5m height for 3600 - there are a few auto workshops using them now and seam to be very reliable as they are very simple but have all the safety features
I saw your pics! That warehouse space looks huuuge, even higher ceiling than mine. Nice score. And your Ute looks really great in all the pics I saw of it at the Nationals, you must be stoked 8)

My budget means I am currently looking at used hoists, couple of the good ones I spotted last year were three phase. I'll dig out the number of the hydraulic lift service tech that my old employer used to use, get him to check things over before I make a purchase... but yeah $3600 for a new hoist is cheap indeed!!

Cheers, Joe
FJWALLY
State: VIC

Post by FJWALLY »

Yeah very happy with the ute mate - still some bits and pieces to sort out and some big improvements in the works but it's so good to get it back in my hands to do the tinkering myself - warehouse is a bit of an extravagance but I have no room at home and now the older lad driving as well I dont have room for 5 cars and two trailers lol - lets just say work is helping me take care of that :wink:

can get even cheaper than 360 if you dont want the height - below 3k in some cases for brand new - I scored the extra height as a bonus as he didn't have the one I wanted in stock I got the upgrade gratis :starr:
You will find me lost somewhere!
59wagon
State: WA

Post by 59wagon »

thebrotherj wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:26 pm ... Am now poorer than ever but happier than a pig in shit!!
Hahaha....sounds like you're in a good space Joe. Enjoy your new digs.

Cheers,

John
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Howdy all,

One small update that has led to a discovery: I sold on my parts-getter Mirage yesterday, but kept the old LRE-636 no. plates that have been in my life for nearly 25 years.

They’re now hung on Leroy.
58804934190__D48B6617-823D-4139-B72F-C8EAEC0487FB.JPG
58804934190__D48B6617-823D-4139-B72F-C8EAEC0487FB.JPG (371.58 KiB) Viewed 780 times
Opening the spare wheel door to access the rear number plate nuts, I discovered the source of the intermittent fuel smell that has overwhelmed the cabin on occasion: the top off my fuel rank is leaking. I had a number of rust holes repaired by a radiator shop during the build, but obviously something has gone awry :(

I have been meaning to drop the leaf springs out to remove a leaf (or maybe two?) for a better unladen ride height & softer ride... looks like I have extra incentive now, the tank will come out at the same time for a closer look.

This will be the first major attention the old boy has required since hitting the road last November. Watch this space...

Cheers, Joe
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

At least you know the source of the problem now Joe. Sometimes that’s half the work. Both tanks I have appear to have been repaired using liberal quantities of lead solder, yet look perfect.

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Errol62 wrote:At least you know the source of the problem now Joe. Sometimes that’s half the work.
Indeed! The work list is beginning to add up in light of both this, and some new discoveries on the weekend.

As the motor has bed-in and things have settled down, I’ve noticed a bit off soot on the tailgate and the thing definitely seems rich overall. I am running one jet size bigger than factory, now I’m thinking that a bit of tuning work is in order. Driveability down low is grubby again, so as a quick confirmation, I ran the car without air filter element on Saturday and was mightily impressed by the difference. More to follow.

After a good sprint at 60mph, a very faint squeak from the uni joints has appeared when rolling to a stop. I never replaced them as they looked fine and just copped a lube. Might scope out replacements and add them to the list.

Next thing I discovered, quite to my surprise as this motor is so smooth at all speeds, is that the front engine mount has dropped both bolts out!

The captive nuts are stripped, so I installed through-bolts and swore I used locknuts. Time to dig out the locktite and try again

And the final, most disturbing thing I saw late last night, following some spirited driving on a twisty road, culminating in very big brake application at the bottom of a steep hill for a red light, was a very brightly lit oil pressure warning light for a couple of seconds. Eek.
Oil level is about 3/4 between Fill and Full on the dipstick and it’s due for a change very soon, so I’m not freaking out... and the motor is dead silent at all times. Do I just write this off as a Grey motor foible? The sump is unbaffled after all...

Joe D.

EK283

Post by EK283 »

Great to see the old bus is still in your hands Joe !

Vibration will set all loose bolts free, you sure you did them up ?????

I built a grey once and bedded it in down the freeway to Penrith, needles to say once the oil light came on and stayed on it was tilt tray back. The little things always go wrong like simply running out of oil for a split second or two under spirited driving !!!!!

Don't panic its done a few miles now so I would suggest oil change and away you go again unless of course it looks like a gold panners dream when you empty it.

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Joe,

Oil surge is a characteristic grey motor thing. If I have to stop hard at traffic lights, the oil light comes on and remains lit for maybe 15 seconds of idling before it flickers and goes out.
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

EK283 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:01 pm Great to see the old bus is still in your hands Joe !

Vibration will set all loose bolts free, you sure you did them up ?????

Regards Greg
Of course I did!.... surely I did!... look, yes I do recall there being a bit mucking around on account of the stripped captive nuts in the engine plate, but maybe, just maybe, I left em loose. They'd be the only two on the whole car if they were!

And yep, still got him. This is my only registered car at the moment, I even installed an eTag. I mean, I walk to work, but I guess it's my daily now? 8)
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

ardiesse wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:17 pm Joe,

Oil surge is a characteristic grey motor thing. If I have to stop hard at traffic lights, the oil light comes on and remains lit for maybe 15 seconds of idling before it flickers and goes out.
15 seconds?! Yikes. I'm definitely not worried then!
Thanks Rob.
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Joe,

I should clarify a bit - the 15-second timeframe was in my black car, which has no baffling in the sump, and with low oil pressure at idle. Thought about baffling my sump when I last had the motor apart, but decided against it. But I plugged the hole in the oil pump relief valve, and that along with a crankshaft grind and new bearings means the oil light doesn't come on at idle like it used to.

Rob
Harv

Post by Harv »

I've got the later, baffled sump in the FB. The last roundabout before home, with a hill on it and a little (ahem) spirited driving sees the oil light come on too. I figure if it comes on and you are not wringing it's neck at the same time, you are probably OK.

I've got a box of Strommie sequenced jets and power valves if you want to have a hard crack at the tuning.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Harv wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:59 pm I've got the later, baffled sump in the FB. The last roundabout before home, with a hill on it and a little (ahem) spirited driving sees the oil light come on too. I figure if it comes on and you are not wringing it's neck at the same time, you are probably OK.

I've got a box of Strommie sequenced jets and power valves if you want to have a hard crack at the tuning.

Cheers,
Harv
Mate, I think it might be time to take you up on that offer. Thank you kindly! Which weekend are you in town coming up? I'll roll over

Cheers, Joe