GMH Body Id Plate, Chassis & engine No ..... Please post.

Includes sheet metal, rubbers, bumpers, badges and rust repairs.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Mick
State: NSW

Re: GMH Body Id Plate, Chassis & engine No ..... Please post

Post by Mick »

Steve Jackson wrote:Yes I do !

:)
well ? what's the lowest EK No besides 4 as i said i can't folow the list, and how does the tag thing work when are No's added :?: say when they build body 100 i would assume it's not painted and trimed untill assembly but i spose it would be on some order sheet
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
jameh1964
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by jameh1964 »

so "if" u have the answer 2 harrys ? what is it i would also like 2 know steve
mr.jones

Post by mr.jones »

harry186 wrote:
ekwags62 wrote:So if my ID plate has an "A" and low production number should the chassis have an "A" with a low number also ? As mr.jones pointed out
allong with that when exactly were tags attached or are they stamped as they go allong :? you'de think paint and trim would be somewhere down the line from the actual body off the line
The plates were attached when the body was built, before painting. Some factories masked them ie. Adel, others painted over the top ie. Bris.
Adel bodies were sent to all factories and thus may have a different factories chassis stamp. Syd bodies usually only have a Syd or Bris chassis no. Melb bodies only have a Melb chassis no.
Mick

Post by Mick »

thanks, good to see somebody that doesn't want everybody elses info willing to share some they have :wink: :thumbsup:
yeah i just got curious after picking up a lowish (early hundreds) sydney tag what the process was cause i new some were assembled at other plants in other states so figured paint an trim wouldn't be done till assembly
so would this then mean that say the No 1 body from a state that doesn't do assembly or i spose from any plant would not nessisarilly be the first finished car off the production line, that would then go back to chassis No or there's no order in chassis No's ?

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Aussie Bob

Post by Aussie Bob »

harry186 wrote:thanks, good to see somebody that doesn't want everybody elses info willing to share some they have :wink: :thumbsup:
yeah i just got curious after picking up a lowish (early hundreds) sydney tag what the process was cause i new some were assembled at other plants in other states so figured paint an trim wouldn't be done till assembly
so would this then mean that say the No 1 body from a state that doesn't do assembly or i spose from any plant would not nessisarilly be the first finished car off the production line, that would then go back to chassis No or there's no order in chassis No's ?

Sorry Mick, I have been busy and also damaged my right hand (which makes it tough to type with one finger :)

I believe chassis were stacked so it was of no interest which chassis went on which body.

The number one adelade 225 body has a high chassis number on it. This was (i am lead to believe) due to Adelaide assembling the Panel Vans first (being the only producer) for stocking dealers for the release of the EK.

As one can see by the spread sheet, number are running in a clear sequence, give or take a few.

Steve
ekwags62

Post by ekwags62 »

Sorry Mick, I have been busy and also damaged my right hand (which makes it tough to type with one finger

I believe chassis were stacked so it was of no interest which chassis went on which body.

The number one adelade 225 body has a high chassis number on it. This was (i am lead to believe) due to Adelaide assembling the Panel Vans first (being the only producer) for stocking dealers for the release of the EK.

As one can see by the spread sheet, number are running in a clear sequence, give or take a few.

Steve
Very interesting bit of info Steve.

Explains the low vin number on mine and higher number on the chassis. Btw Steve as harry186 asked, what is the lowest number found?
Aussie Bob

Post by Aussie Bob »

EKs

EK-225-1-A

EK-225-42-A

EK-229-4-A

EK-225-4-M

EK-225-39-M

EK-225-88-M

EK-215-57-S

EK-219-80-S
ekwags62

Post by ekwags62 »

EKs

EK-225-1-A

EK-225-42-A

EK-229-4-A

EK-225-4-M

EK-225-39-M

EK-225-88-M

EK-215-57-S

EK-219-80-S
So looking at these numbers there is EK-225-4-M and EK-229-4-A. Would that then mean there would be EK-229-4-A and also EK-225-4-A from the same plant but with different chassis numbers or is the production number specific over the whole range of body styles.
Sorry Steve hope I'm not over working that finger :) :) :)

Mick.
Aussie Bob

Post by Aussie Bob »

That is correct. All would have a different chassis number. Whether they have Adelaide chassis or the body was shipped into state.

All these "4" are possible from Adelaide .....

EK-215-4-A

EK-219-4-A

EK-225-4-A

EK-229-4-A

EK-2104-4-A

EK-2106-4-A

same applies to Sydney and Melb.

Although Wayne's 215 Auto offers some confusion :?
Mick

Post by Mick »

thanks steve i got curious when i found this tag car is gone

i type 1 fingered :oops: :lol:

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Aussie Bob

Post by Aussie Bob »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

well i usaully use two :oops: :oops: :oops:

Wow! thats an early tag! great to see.

Steve
ekwags62

Post by ekwags62 »

Although thats an EK plate what do the codes for the insert PO.478.B specify, and whats that you say about waynes is there a pic to show Steve?
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

I found FB number 10 out in the bush a couple of hundred kays east of Kal a few years ago :shock:
I started with nothing and still have most of it left.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Cal

Post by Cal »

I always thought that they were numbered by build, not model type and build, in that there is only one No.1 Sydney, Melbourne, and Adelaide car.

So of the potential 18 EK's (or FB's) possibly running around with "1" on their tag, do we know which was actually THE No.1, as in the first one to physically roll down the production line ? Was it a Sydney, Adelaide, Melbourne car? Was it a sedan, van, ute?

It'll have to be a Special.... I can't see a poverty pack Standard getting the honour :lol: :mrgreen:
Aussie Bob

Post by Aussie Bob »

Cal wrote:I always thought that they were numbered by build, not model type and build, in that there is only one No.1 Sydney, Melbourne, and Adelaide car.

So of the potential 18 EK's (or FB's) possibly running around with "1" on their tag, do we know which was actually THE No.1, as in the first one to physically roll down the production line ? Was it a Sydney, Adelaide, Melbourne car? Was it a sedan, van, ute?

It'll have to be a Special.... I can't see a poverty pack Standard getting the honour :lol: :mrgreen:

Hi Cal, there could be 19, if the 215 A was treated as a separate build number as it appears to be with Wayne's car!

I am sure (like in the DON LOFFLER book, the first 48-215 was actually number 6) the first EK or FB may not of been "number 1". I guess we may never know!

Like in Guitars, the first Fender Stratocaster in 1954 was not 0001, there were pre productions and prototypes before hand. In saying that, David Gilmour of Pink Floyd fame owns 0001 Fender Stratocaster, what a cool guitar to own.

Steve