Rocker shaft seals

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

EK DAZ
State: NOT ENTERED

Rocker shaft seals

Post by EK DAZ »

Hi All, What do grey motor owners use for the seals between the oil feed union and the rocker shafts?. Any substituted part that any one knows of ?. Mine are all hard and probably wouldn't seal stuff all.
Also on all of my spare motors and spare rocker shafts, the oil relief hole in the oil feed union have been blocked off with a screw. Any ideas why there is a relief hole there at all ? Regards Daz.
EK DAZ
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Rocker shaft seals

Post by Blacky »

Blocking the relief hole is a common trick to supply more oil to the rockers themselves - can't help you with the seals though
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
ardiesse
State: NSW

Post by ardiesse »

The relief hole in the oil pipe union is there so that there's just enough (but not too much) oil to lubricate the rockers and valves at highway speeds. But "just enough" is only the case for new rocker shafts and bushes. Once they wear, the oil leaks out too fast and none gets to the rocker tips or valve stems, number 1 exhaust valve being the coal-mine canary. This is why the self-tapping screw has been fitted to so many grey motors.

And the seals - if they're still in one piece, they're fine. Doesn't matter if they've gone hard. I think you could probably use the 1/2" tap O-rings as replacements, though.

Rob
EK DAZ
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by EK DAZ »

Thanks for the info Blacky and Rob ,much appreciated. Regards Daz.
EK DAZ