Dash lights work with parkers but not headlights.

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Pabloek
State: VIC

Dash lights work with parkers but not headlights.

Post by Pabloek »

Hi guys, finally got the old girl on the road and I'm now just looking at the small stuff.. I've got an issue with the dash lights not working when headlights on but they do whith the parkers on.. Anyone had this? Need a whole new headlight switch or is it something I could tinker with? (I'm a youtube mechanic / auto elec 😂) no qualifications but fairly capable with the help of this forum and YouTube. Ha..
Cheers guys.
Pablo
ardiesse
State: NSW

Re: Dash lights work with parkers but not headlights.

Post by ardiesse »

At a rough guess, the grey wire is connected to the wrong terminal on the headlight switch. Do the instrument lamps dim when you turn the headlight knob? The correct terminal for the instrument lights is the one which comes from the rheostat.

Somebody will (hopefully) post a diagram showing the connections to the headlight switch.

Rob
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

The dashlights run through a dimmer. You dim them by twisting the headlight knob. A metal slider runs along a long spring which is a variable resistor. The spring gets manky, and will only work in some knob positions. You can excercise the assembly a bit and sometimes they come good. Otherwise you can pull the assembly out and clean it properly.

headlight switch.jpg
headlight switch.jpg (926.79 KiB) Viewed 151 times

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

My guess is the dash lights wiring is on the park lights circuit - they go off once the headlights are on and so do your dash lights so it stands to reason thats the problem. Harvs pic above out of the service manual shows where they should be connected - and new light switches are available either through Rare Spares for $150 or EKMart for $100 :thumbsup:
I started with nothing and still have most of it left.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Pabloek

Post by Pabloek »

Thanks heaps guys. Gonna attack it this week hopefully. Cheers 👍
avm

Post by avm »

Hi,

The comments and information supplied above are good and correct. About the dimmer function, when I took delivery of my EK last year the dimmer seemed unsteady. Following advice, I repeatedly swept the dimmer switch across its full range, left and right, thus cleaning up the dimmer switch and thereafter it has operated flawlessly.
Project ICKPA.