engine gaskets ...

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

FB60
State: NOT ENTERED

engine gaskets ...

Post by FB60 »

Hi,

I'm refitting a new Rocket Cover to my FB ....

WHen I replace the gasket for it, do I need to apply any gasket goo ? - or is it a dry seal (ie no glue)??

Same question with the SidePlate as well - does it have a gasket, and does it need gasket glue applied.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

thanks !

"Keep the FB/EKs rockin!"
earlyholdenfan

Post by earlyholdenfan »

Hi FB60,
I am pretty sure the cork gaskets do not need sealer, and can find no mention of this requirement in the shop manual, my cars do not have anything added
Matt
Hoping everyone is finding my new Avatar less "Distracting" and of course it is not directed at anyone or anything either currently living or deceased, hopefully it may just be allowed to remain!
Dr Terry
State: NSW

Post by Dr Terry »

Hi Guys.

There are several comments to make here.

1. The cork that was used in the 50s & 60s is different stuff to today's modern neoprene/cork compound.

2. GM-H didn't use sealer at the factory but they always leaked a bit anyway.

3. If you don't want it to leak (who does !) use a modern sealer like Loctite Permatex or Three Bond, they come in different colours for different temperatures, but unlike Silastic & old fashioned gasket goos it's impervious to oil & doesn't leak.

Dr Terry.
FB60

Post by FB60 »

thanks guys ...

The 'regular' cork type retails at RareSpares for about $10 each.

Apparently, they also sell a "rubber" rocket cover gasket which retails at about $30 each. These ones are supposed to be re-usable. But not sure how a rubber gasket could be reusable if some sort of gasket glue was applied? I guess they'd only be reusable if you did not use glue with them?

I might just go with the Loctite Permatex or Three Bond /// cork gasket, as recommended by D.Terry (?)

thanks for the info !