Leroy the EK Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

thebrotherj
State: NSW

Re: Leroy the EK Ute

Post by thebrotherj »

ardiesse wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:09 pm Joe,

I should clarify a bit - the 15-second timeframe was in my black car, which has no baffling in the sump, and with low oil pressure at idle. Thought about baffling my sump when I last had the motor apart, but decided against it. But I plugged the hole in the oil pump relief valve, and that along with a crankshaft grind and new bearings means the oil light doesn't come on at idle like it used to.

Rob
Ahh yes, few, I was concerned you were talking about the Grey car! The 307 in Dad's was a high mileage unit when he bought it and the oil light was on at idle permanently by the time it came out for reco in 79. Still ran pretty well otherwise I am told...

I heard a rumour that you ran the Black jalopy down to SA and back recently - how'd it go? Did you get lucky with the rear main, and did the front engine plate seal up ok?
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Joe,

Yes, I did. Now that I've done 10000 miles in the motor since its last major rebuild, the rear main seal is beginning to drip a little. But with the EJ front main bearing cap and mods to the front engine plate I've got on top of the leak behind the front engine plate. New piston pins and small-end bushes have made it quiet at idle, and it ran like a clock all the way to Adelaide and back.

Rob
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

A Swiss watch by my ear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Back home again in a fortnight (7th). You're more than welcome to borrow the Stromberg gear. Remind me closer to then... I have a head like a sieve.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Harv wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:32 am Back home again in a fortnight (7th). You're more than welcome to borrow the Stromberg gear. Remind me closer to then... I have a head like a sieve.

Cheers,
Harv
You're on. Thanks again.
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Greetings all, hope yer well. Coupla updates...

After helping my new neighbour do an urgent 24 hour turnaround engine swap when the 351C in his F100 spun a big end bearing the other week, I kept that momentum going to attack a few things that have been on Leroy’s “to do” list.

What I though was a dry front universal joint causing a squeak, turned out to be the rear gearbox seal that had come adrift, cocked at a wild angle.

When replacing it, I discovered that there had been two skinny, plastic seals in the output housing, a common mod I understand. This would also explain why there was no substantial leak from the cocked outer seal...

Now with only one original, metal-outer type seal in place, it’s quiet, but leaking more than I’d like. Damn.
I’ll call up CPC this week and order two of the skinny plastic type seals in again I guess...

Front Uni turned out to be quite notchy (I hadn’t replaced them during the build) so I splurged and replaced joints at both ends. The inconvenient orientation of my bench vice doesn’t suit this task too well.... but a simple lowering of Leroy’s tailgate solved that problem haha

Discovered that the tailpipe, which had been bent by the previous owner backing it into a high gutter, was in fact fouling on the diff housing in service, explaining the graunching noise from the rear that had gotten worse over time. A quick decision was made to drop the clamps & twist the straight pipe from the muffler to the axle 180°, then lopped it off just after the bend, so gasses now exit downward toward the road:

Finally, the rear springs came out for removal of two of the six leaves that Utes run in standard trim. Leroy really was no fun to drive unloaded, bouncing around shitty inner Sydney roads and over speed bumps you see...

I had to drill new holes for the gathering straps and reshape/crimp them to hold the smaller leaf stack together nicely. Rust converter on the undersides of the leaves, lick of paint, new high tensile centre bolts with spacers, a couple of mods to the lowering blocks for squarer purchase, then the whole show went back together like a dream.

End result? Leroy’s a new car to drive.

The exhaust note has lost a lot of the conversation stifling drone, especially at 50-55mph and it just sounds... crisper, a lot racier. Blatty at low engine speed but actually quieter at higher revs with that sweet Grey motor note much clearer under wide open throttle.

And the ride is amazing now! More like a Sedan. The steering is better too. Leroy is mostly used unloaded or with a light load only, so the loss of load capacity isn’t a huge problem. The ride height has come down a little, looks much better without the rake it had before.

Picked up my hefty Mig welder with full E size gas bottle from service yesterday and when I was standing in the tray with that on board, could jump up and down and make it touch the bumps stops. On the drive home it never hit the stops, though was definitely not as nice to drive loaded, didn’t pull up as straight and wandered with changing road camber a little more than usual, but still totally fine.

Next up: oil change and time to have another stab at tuning the Strommy (thanks to Harv for the loan of his expansive tuning stores & tools) and see what can be done to the electronic dizzy to bring some advance in quicker, lower down the rev range.

Cheers! Joe

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Nice work Joe. Looks the goods with the back down. Very resourceful tailpipe mod. Quite an extensive vocabulary of descriptive sounds there, graunching.

Some of the new handling characteristics sound concerning, particularly seeing you have effectively increased the caster by lowering and loading the rear. That should make it track better at speed although reduced weight transfer to the front perhaps, like when you have a big down force on the tow bar?

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Errol62 wrote:Nice work Joe. Looks the goods with the back down. Very resourceful tailpipe mod. Quite an extensive vocabulary of descriptive sounds there, graunching.

Some of the new handling characteristics sound concerning, particularly seeing you have effectively increased the caster by lowering and loading the rear. That should make it track better at speed although reduced weight transfer to the front perhaps, like when you have a big down force on the tow bar?

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie

Ha. I was several beers in when posting that, the words start to write themselves...

To be clear, the car steers really well, better than before and yes you are absolutely right - directional stability at freeway speed is now superb. Great to have the confidence now, a sudden lane change at 55-60mph doesn’t upset it at all.

The welder with full gas bottle weighs up near 80kgs at a guess. I loaded it up behind the cabin on the driver’s side like I always do (tool box on the left side gets in the way) and with the old suspension, this made the car drive SO much better. Now with the softer rear end, the RHR corner was down a little, so the whole show was a bit weird to drive. The characteristics I describe are not dramatic at all, just need to be mindful at the wheel and on the brakes when it’s carrying a load. As you should be I guess!!

Honestly, I’m so pleased with the change, not even tempted to put one leaf back in. I’ll see how it settles down over time and let ya know!

Cheers Clay!
Joe

In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Nice work Joe,

The ute has a nice stance indeed. :thumbsup: I know what you mean about an unloaded ute bouncing around. With your tail pipe I thought it was a requirement that the exhaust pipe must finish past the axle to comply? I guess anything is legal provided you don't get caught!

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Past rear most passenger opening?

EK van on rotisserie
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Errol62 wrote:Past rear most passenger opening?

I put a side pipe on an HZ Ute eons ago and the rule then was... 3000mm? I think? past the rear edge of the rear most opening door. Had to meet dB requirements also of course

I doubt the legality of what Leroy is running, but I’d sincerely doubt the constabulary in my corner of the world would have the first clue nor care less. Main thing is, no fumes are getting in to the cabin (no more than before) and this is only temporary anyways :)

thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

-whoops I meant 300mm

thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

In the Shed wrote:Nice work Joe,

The ute has a nice stance indeed. :thumbsup: I know what you mean about an unloaded ute bouncing around. With your tail pipe I thought it was a requirement that the exhaust pipe must finish past the axle to comply? I guess anything is legal provided you don't get caught!

Regards
Stephen
That’s what I’m banking on! ;)

Harv

Post by Harv »

In the Shed wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:10 pmWith your tail pipe I thought it was a requirement that the exhaust pipe must finish past the axle to comply? I guess anything is legal provided you don't get caught!
I suspect that like many things automotive there are many opinions that are applied by enthusiasts and Police with little understanding of the legislation.

For unmodified vehicles in NSW, the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2017 Part 9 Control of Emissions Division 2 Exhaust Systems is silent with respect to exhaust exit point except for motor trikes, buses and vertical exhaust systems.

If you were to be modifying the vehicle, Vehicle Standards Information Sheet 6 Light Vehicle Modifications is equally silent.

The National Code of Practice (NCOP) also applies to modified vehicles in NSW. NCOP Section LA Engine indicates exhaust systems:
a) must have a minimum of 100mm ground clearance and also meet the ground clearance requirements of ADR 43/… where applicable,
b) have an outlet that is rearwards of any passenger side entry door or opening window,
c) must be shielded if any part of the exhaust system, including the outlet pipe, extends beyond the profile of the body (other than on the underside),
d) must also meet the requirements of ADR 42/… where applicable,
e) must not have the exhaust exiting to the left of the vehicle if manufactured after June 1988, and
f) must not unnecessarily restrict the flow of exhaust gases and must be free of tight bends and other restrictive components.

ADR42 (Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 42/04 - General Safety Requirements) 2005 is also silent with respect to exhaust exit point except for motor trikes, buses and vertical exhaust systems.

So all up, to my understanding, there are no restrictions on unmodified exhaust location in NSW for pre-ADR vehicles. If you modify the exhaust, it must have 100mm of ground clearance, be rearwards of any passenger side entry door or opening window, be shielded if it extends beyond the body, must not unnecessarily restrict the flow of exhaust gases and must be free of tight bends and other restrictive components.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Harv is spot on !!

The only issue I've ever had is at pink slip time the guy didn't like the exhaust pointing to the ground, I said get a hacksaw and I'll cut it off, he goes just make sure for next time !!!!

Rules are meant to be broken !!!!!

Joe you need to stop drinking beer and speak normal English !!!

regards Greg
So many cars so little time!