Melly's EK wag find

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

melly
State: WA

Re: Melly's EK wag find

Post by melly »

Errol62 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:16 am Used commonly to replace the big nut, original from HK on. It is fouling because it is a modification to the original single circuit master. Moving it over slightly shouldn’t cause binding of the pedal and Clovis mechanism. This is a common modification. I haven’t done it myself but plenty have, and I’m pretty sure they didn’t need to go replacing bonnet springs melly.

Righto now it makes sense Clay, thanks... needed to do a bit of research with dr google :egeek: - reckon you're right there should be enough to play within the setup if i open up a couple of holes here n there! cheers fellas
FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
melly

Post by melly »

And so after another blunder highlighting my social media ineptness (I really should be getting my kids to do this shit), its back to posting this stuff in the forum where it is supposed to be ( my apologies to all)....after finally securing the services of someone who can weld properly, we made a start on getting the webers to fit.
cut2.jpg
cut2.jpg (98.09 KiB) Viewed 257 times
Being in a tight spot with some complex shapes (and limited Sheetmetal tooling available), old mate came up with an ingenious solution... enter one quarter piece of a 2kg gas bottle
firewall.jpg
firewall.jpg (94.2 KiB) Viewed 257 times
firewall mod.jpg
firewall mod.jpg (100.73 KiB) Viewed 257 times
I know this mod wont impress everyone, but once tacked in a trial fit of the carbs had me grinning :D :thumbsup:
firewall mod1.jpg
firewall mod1.jpg (104 KiB) Viewed 257 times
firewall mod2.jpg
firewall mod2.jpg (100.31 KiB) Viewed 257 times
until it was time to trial fit bonnet :( :thumbsdown:
so hinge and gas strut mods now added to workscope
firewall mod3.jpg
firewall mod3.jpg (98.66 KiB) Viewed 257 times
firewall mod4jpg.jpg
firewall mod4jpg.jpg (98.03 KiB) Viewed 257 times
and then after a long absence of the welder, he returned to close up (some of the holes)
firewall mod5.jpg
firewall mod5.jpg (97.19 KiB) Viewed 257 times
It was around this time that my old mate had to leave again- not before giving me a quick lesson on how to use the gasless MIG ive acquired- and handing over
melly

Post by melly »

So from here
firewall mod6jpg.jpg
firewall mod6jpg.jpg (94.34 KiB) Viewed 255 times

it was a few quick trial runs on some offcuts i had lying around, to putting my welding and fabricating skills to the test
firewall mod7.jpg
firewall mod7.jpg (81.47 KiB) Viewed 255 times
firewall mod8.jpg
firewall mod8.jpg (98.21 KiB) Viewed 255 times
firewall mod9.jpg
firewall mod9.jpg (103.06 KiB) Viewed 255 times
and so this is where im at. The car is around 95% complete (thanks again to EKmart as id never even be close without it). I need to find some wagon Sunvisor brackets and lower tailgate hinges (the ones we salvaged Blacky are pretty knackered, but will get us home. I will need to drill out and oversize one of the hinge pins cause its flogged out). I think ive got pretty much everything else sorted on mockup, so its off to the brake and exhaust place next week to fit flanges to the extractors and run the rest of the pipes, then make up and run some new brake lines to the booster which ive relocated under the guard. When thats done, a good mate has offered his hoist and workshop for a couple of weeks so we can get the wiring in.

Hopefully the next update will not be as far away as the last one was...

Have a good pre- Nats weekend everyone, cheers,,,

craig melly
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Great progress Craig.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

If those hinges are no good mate we can grab the ones off the other wagon ????
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hi Melly if your standard modified hinges are too big maybe have a look at V6 Conversion hinges mate
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
The Reverend FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

If EKMart is out of stock of wagon lower tailgate hinges, give me a yell. I've probably got a set here somewhere.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Pretty sure I have some here in Perth Melly if you need
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
The Reverend FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
melly

Post by melly »

Thanks fellas, feel like I’m actually getting some forward traction again- I’ll bring the hinges with me to be assessed by the team when next we catch up… batten down the hatches guys the rains are comin😖
256 km Perth (Serpentine) Radar Loop.jpeg
256 km Perth (Serpentine) Radar Loop.jpeg (231.54 KiB) Viewed 221 times