Chev EK

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

FireKraka
State: WA

Re: Chev EK

Post by FireKraka »

Just bought one of the tools, if there is a tool made for something you have to have it right :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Watch a YouTube video and I’m now pretty certain now that when I was trying to sort my brakes I have put preload on the master will sort it out when we get back from overseas.
The forum is great :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
The Reverend FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
EK283
State: NSW

Post by EK283 »

So i finished my first diff build, i always wanted to do this and to be honest kicking myself that i didnt give it a go when i was younger.
It would have saved me some cash over the years.
IMG_2908.JPG
IMG_2908.JPG (4.67 MiB) Viewed 160 times
Bought a brand new case to suite the aftermarket larger carrier bearings
IMG_2912.JPG
IMG_2912.JPG (4.67 MiB) Viewed 160 times
Painted with new pinion bearings
IMG_2918.JPG
IMG_2918.JPG (4.34 MiB) Viewed 160 times
New tool foot inch pounds to get the correct bearing preload on the carrier
IMG_2916.JPG
IMG_2916.JPG (5.66 MiB) Viewed 160 times
New ring gear installed on the true trac center
IMG_2925.JPG
IMG_2925.JPG (4.21 MiB) Viewed 160 times
First spin attempt on the meshing, i dont have a photo of the final product but i got the pattern very central to the teeth.
Big axles should be right mate !!!!
IMG_2933.JPG
IMG_2933.JPG (4.33 MiB) Viewed 160 times
All back in and ready for a decent run this weekend, you have to bed the gears in with a couple of hot and cold cycles appparantly !!

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

I hope it drives well mate. After Bunbury my 3.08:1 banjo is starting to give a little moan at 80kph cruise. I’m going to engage the Masters Apprentices and “Turn up your radio!”

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I picked up a 3.36:1 "posi" (LSD) centre - or should that be center ??? :ebiggrin: for the Chev diff in my Chev a while back and wouldn't mind having a go rebuilding it myself how long did it take you GT ???
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Blacky wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:39 am I picked up a 3.36:1 "posi" (LSD) centre - or should that be center ??? :ebiggrin: for the Chev diff in my Chev a while back and wouldn't mind having a go rebuilding it myself how long did it take you GT ???
Because i was amerturish and had to wait for parts it seemed a long time.

I am going to say now if i did it i reckon 8 hours, thats what you would be paying for in a shop.
You do need a couple of tools, bearing puller, verniers, press, tension wrenches, inch and foot pounds and a fair bit of patience.

Greg
Last edited by EK283 on Sun Aug 18, 2024 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

What is the difference between the torque wrenches Greg? Is it just precision, or does it have a 3/16” socket head? Surely ft lb x 12 = inch lb……

EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

An inch/pound for little stuff including screws and a foot/pound for bigger nuts and bolts. Fairly standard kit in the day.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I have pretty much all the equipment required in that list except for the patience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Errol62 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 11:07 am What is the difference between the torque wrenches Greg? Is it just precision, or does it have a 3/16” socket head? Surely ft lb x 12 = inch lb……

Your maths don’t make sense mate !!
Brett is on the money, you need to preload the bearings in inch pounds, a foot pound wrench can’t measure that smaller value.

Greg
Last edited by EK283 on Sun Aug 18, 2024 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I am a measurer by profession you know. My maths may not make sense, but it is correct, in the context of medieval linear dimensions, but as you say, it is a matter of precision. I’ve seen these used to set up the bands in auto transmissions. Is it a 1/4” drive?

EK van on rotisserie
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Hi Clay, I would never cast doubt on any profession and for sure i would never doubt a man as experienced as you.

The foot pound wrench callibration is just too big for this detailed precision work, even with your correct equation it is not possible to go down that low on the foot pound scale being that 12 foot pound is 144 inch pound. My Tension wrench starts at 20 foot pound.

The bearing preload on the pinion bearings and carrier bearings need 15 to 20 inch pounds of resistance, and needs to be measured without seals and with the wrench i have in my pictures.
The wrench is 1/4 inch drive, so you need to be creative with the adapters and sockets to achieve a fit.

Greg
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Thanks Greg, that is pretty precise.

EK van on rotisserie