MildFB, customised FB wagon

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

MildFB
State: VIC

MildFB, customised FB wagon

Post by MildFB »

MildFB is a creation using the good looks of a Holden FB 1960 wagon, with the grunt and toughness of a Chrysler front end. Features include:

3.5 inch roof chop
Motor and Gearbox: Chrysler 360 CID V8, torqueflite 727
Front end tortion bar suspention. Leafed rear.
Commodore rack and pinion steering,
Borg-warner 28 spline rear end.
Interior seating: Toyota Camry.
MildFB will sport four wheel disk brakes, showing off the Chrysler Charger slotted 14' wheels,
ImageImage
Last edited by MildFB on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If in doubt..chop it.
http://www.mildfb.com
Thommo
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Thommo »

Nice job team 8)
Keep us updated :wink:
Smooth customs

Post by Smooth customs »

Interesting build

How is VIC Roads, or your engineer defining what this car will be registered as?
V8EK4us

Post by V8EK4us »

very interesting idea. Be good to watch this build to see the finished product on the road.
MildFB

Post by MildFB »

Thanks for the feedback. :D
The engineering side is taken care of by Col Grey, ex race car builder and engineering inspector, retired. We will register it as a "Chryden". but obviously is an FB on the outside. We will paint it in the original FB yellow/white colours. Not until you look a little further you will see the chrysler and other bits.
Yes we still have the venetians , I forgot to mention them in the for sale list..

Cheers, Graham.
If in doubt..chop it.
Finny
State: QLD

Post by Finny »

Certainly not an easy project. That's for sure. :shock:
Definately beyond my skills and resources.

Very interested to see how it all comes out.

I expect.............. NICE...................... :D :D :D
IT's LIKE WATCHING DRUNK MONKEYS TRYING TO HUMP A FOOTBALL.
D61wagon

Post by D61wagon »

pm sent
Smooth customs

Post by Smooth customs »

MildFB wrote:Thanks for the feedback. :D
The engineering side is taken care of by Col Grey, ex race car builder and engineering inspector, retired. We will register it as a "Chryden". but obviously is an FB on the outside. We will paint it in the original FB yellow/white colours. Not until you look a little further you will see the chrysler and other bits.
Yes we still have the venetians , I forgot to mention them in the for sale list..

Cheers, Graham.

Graham

Will it be a modified production or an ICV
V8EK4us

Post by V8EK4us »

Smooth customs wrote:Graham

It would almost have to be an ICV wouldn't it Smooth?

Then again OLDNEK (John) has a complete manufactured front end with struts, flat floor, Supra Diff and I have not heard that it is rego'd as and ICV (I could be wrong) which I would have thought it would be.
Smooth customs

Post by Smooth customs »

V8EK4us wrote:
Smooth customs wrote:Graham

It would almost have to be an ICV wouldn't it Smooth?

Then again OLDNEK (John) has a complete manufactured front end with struts, flat floor, Supra Diff and I have not heard that it is rego'd as and ICV (I could be wrong) which I would have thought it would be.
As far as I know Johns is on full rego

I have built cars to comply with rego in VIC NSW and QLD, each state has differences in how they determin the vehicles description and statis.

At the moment, the National system is still not fully approved and ready to go

In QLD you are required to submit a proposal to build, this helps at the time of rego. Imagine turning up with your bright and shinny new car and being refused approval because of non compliance with regulation changes or unapproved conversions.

With an official approval you know exactly what you can and can't do. And if the car is built as proposed, rego is not a problem.
Your engineer has to be up to speed on all new and proposed amendments as well.
V8EK4us

Post by V8EK4us »

Smooth customs wrote:
In QLD you are required to submit a proposal to build, this helps at the time of rego. Imagine turning up with your bright and shinny new car and being refused approval because of non compliance with regulation changes or unapproved conversions.

With an official approval you know exactly what you can and can't do. And if the car is built as proposed, rego is not a problem.
Your engineer has to be up to speed on all new and proposed amendments as well.
It is like that in the NT now and has been for some time, every modified or ICV need pre approval before the build starts otherwise it goes sour real quick and getting it on the road becomes a huge headache. It is the same with the boats we build for commercial operators, we have to submit full structural plans, electrical drawings, bouyancy drawings and calulations........ not that much different really except one floats and the other doesn't :lol: :lol:
MildFB

Post by MildFB »

I shouldn't get carried away with things I don't know about. So I consulted our Guru and come up with this gem. Thought it was better to cut and paste as the jargon is a bit heavy....

It has always been intended to have the car registered as an FB. From an engineering viewpoint I do not believe it could be anything else.
With regard to the queries re whether it can be registered under Victorian law, the build complies with current Vic Roads requirements and will not need to be registered as an ICV. An ICV is an Individually Constructed Vehicle and would have to meet all 2009 Australian Design Rule (ADR), requirements. By using all standard production parts, save for the chassis kit and new floor, engineering requirements are reduced to the ADRs that apply to the particular era under which the car/light truck was original manufactured. Until recently there were 3 ADR categories under which cars/light trucks could be modified, the FB would have fallen under category 1, however, recent rule changes in Victoria have removed the category 1 requirement hence vehicles manufactured up to 1960 now have a distinct set of rules governing modification work. They predominately cover construction methodology ie, cut and shut projects , materials including type and manufacture, welding methods and practices, a whole range of upgrades that include seating mods, seat belt mods, lighting up grades, engine fits, exhaust systems etc, there are some 40 odd rules that apply to the project.
Of course little of the above would apply if we were to apply for Club type registration. My understanding is that the licenced inspector from the club concerned would have to inspect the vehicle and a roadworthy would be required.
I am aware that we are waiting for a set of National rules to come in, all of my information at present suggests they will take a line very close to the present Victorian rules.

Well, you did ask!
If in doubt..chop it.
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

all to confusing for me most victorians say that it's a hassle building a modded car down there, but i doubt this car would get a look in in NSW and they say we have it easy in NSW to start with a 360 would be a definate no no
but you say they've contacted engineers i think you'll get a line up of people wanting to know who he is
Smooth customs

Post by Smooth customs »

MildFB wrote:I shouldn't get carried away with things I don't know about. So I consulted our Guru and come up with this gem. Thought it was better to cut and paste as the jargon is a bit heavy....

It has always been intended to have the car registered as an FB. From an engineering viewpoint I do not believe it could be anything else.
With regard to the queries re whether it can be registered under Victorian law, the build complies with current Vic Roads requirements and will not need to be registered as an ICV. An ICV is an Individually Constructed Vehicle and would have to meet all 2009 Australian Design Rule (ADR), requirements. By using all standard production parts, save for the chassis kit and new floor, engineering requirements are reduced to the ADRs that apply to the particular era under which the car/light truck was original manufactured. Until recently there were 3 ADR categories under which cars/light trucks could be modified, the FB would have fallen under category 1, however, recent rule changes in Victoria have removed the category 1 requirement hence vehicles manufactured up to 1960 now have a distinct set of rules governing modification work. They predominately cover construction methodology ie, cut and shut projects , materials including type and manufacture, welding methods and practices, a whole range of upgrades that include seating mods, seat belt mods, lighting up grades, engine fits, exhaust systems etc, there are some 40 odd rules that apply to the project.
Of course little of the above would apply if we were to apply for Club type registration. My understanding is that the licenced inspector from the club concerned would have to inspect the vehicle and a roadworthy would be required.
I am aware that we are waiting for a set of National rules to come in, all of my information at present suggests they will take a line very close to the present Victorian rules.

Well, you did ask!

And you answered

Club rego may not be as good a move as it seems, originally this system was for restorers. Who rebuilt their cars to original factory delivered condition. And the inspections could be done by a club member if possible that was qualified to carry out road worthy inspections . Or by someone the club recognised with the same qualifications. It was them processed by a club official and the plates were issued.
But restrictions on usage were part of this system.

Modified cars are now using this method of registration, but they are drawing attention from the police and the registration departments.
Owners of engineered and complianced cars, as well as the police are asking how cars totally outside of the guidelines are getting through without all the required testing.

From what I have heard, this loophole may be closed. And clubs using it may have to answer to a higher power over it. These cars will them have to undergo full and proper inspections for compliance. If they can.

This should not be confused or compared with the system used by Hot Rodders that apply to pre 48 based cars
minifb

Post by minifb »

SunnyTim wrote:You were worried about cutting up a 72 Chrysler and not an FB wagon?

Tim
I agree tim????
FB/EKForum member 123
ImageWoofto Car Club Member No4

IF ITS NOT CHOPPED IT MAY ASWELL BE RESTORED

Member FB-EK Holden Car Club of NSW Inc.