Nominations for improved cooling head gaskets - fourth round

Nasco extras, mechanical bits and pieces, panels, interiors or whatever.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Forum rules
All items here will be automatically deleted after 6 months since the last post. This will give you ample time to sell your item.
BS
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: Nominations for improved cooling head gaskets - fourth round

Post by BS »

Thanks for the update Harv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Ladies and Gents,

An update, and offer, for the improved cooling gaskets.

• The background and technical testing for the gaskets is here: http://forum.fefcholden.club/index.php?topic=26399.0. Subsequent road testing of the gaskets has shown that they work as per the testing.
• I have made three batches of these gaskets previously via AA Gaskets. As they no longer manufacture, I am changing manufacturing to Gasket Solutions.
• If you order one of these gaskets, there is no warranty at all – non from Gasket Solutions, and none from me. You take your own risk that the gasket does not fail and/or lead to other damage.
• Your gasket(s) come packed between two pieces of 7mm ply, and wrapped fully in packing tape. I include a copy of the NASCO instruction sheet and a warning sheet (so you don’t put them in upside down Miss Jane).
• The cost breakdown of the gaskets is as below:
Supply of a gasket to me: $137.50
Plywood packaging to send it to you: $5.50
Postage to you: $25.00 (I know postage will vary but I don’t have the patience to bill everyone individually based on location).
Harv profit: Nil
Cost of a gasket to you: $168.00
• I’m happy to combine postage if you want more than one gasket, or band together as a club. I’m also happy for you to pick them up from me in Western Sydney without postage. So:
If you want to pick gaskets up from me, they will cost you $137.50 each, regardless of how many you want.
If you want me to mail you one gasket, it will cost you $168.00.
If you want me to mail you two gaskets, it will cost you $305.50
If you want me to mail you three gaskets, it will cost you $443
If you want me to mail you four gaskets, it will cost you $580.5
If you want me to mail you five gaskets, it will cost you $718
If you want me to mail you six gaskets, it will cost you $855.50
• I have placed an order for 100 gaskets (my risk on the cost). First in, first served. Gauging interest there should be some leftovers for the stragglers but no promises.
• Like last time, I’ll run out of gaskets by helping the stragglers, and then will have no gaskets for a while. I’ll wait until there is enough noise, and then get another batch done. I do this to help people out, and have plenty of other stuff of my own I should be doing… it could take me a year to get another batch done.
• Lead time on the gaskets is 6-8 weeks from when the order was placed. This should see me getting the gaskets on Christmas Day. Best case I get these in the mail to you in the week of the 8th of January.

So now looking for final confirmation of orders. If you want one (or more) please post again. Please also send me a PM with your username and real name and address for postage. No need to pay yet.

I will assume that no-one who put their hand up previously wants one, as they did not know the pricing/timing (i.e. if you wanted one before, please ask again). If you wanted one before and no longer do, then all OK… no harm, no foul.

I’ll hold open the orders until the end of November, then will ask for payment from December 1st. That gives me a few weeks to get organised before everyone takes a Christmas break.

Cheers,
Harv (deputy apprentice gasket scraper).
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Onya Harv, your bloods worth bottling 👍👍👍👍
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Nice work Harv…….. however after the previous batches and your tireless dedication to the cause you must have served your full apprenticeship and be qualified? 8)
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Harv

Post by Harv »

Bump.

Reminder please that I need your orders before the end of November. So far I have:
DougT from the FEFC forum.
Jolls from the FEFC forum (please PM me your actual name and address so I know where to send them to).
Daryl from an email who has been waiting patiently for many months.

Once we get to November 30th I will finalise the orders and ask for payment.

I recognise that this gasket is not for everyone… whilst it cools far better than a standard gasket, it is also twice the price.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Bump.

If you want one (or more) gaskets please post here. Please also send me a PM with your username and real name and address for postage. No need to pay yet.

I have orders for 39 gaskets so far, from the following:
FB/EK Parisian62
FE/FC DougT
FE/FC Jolls
Email Darryl
Email Darren
FX/FJ SGO
FX/FJ earleebob (need a name and address please)
FX/FJ Andrew Donaldson
FB/EK BS
FE/FC Vic FE/FC club

At the end of the month (8 days time) I'll close off the orders, and ask for payment.

Cheers,
Harv
avm
State: VIC

Post by avm »

Hi Harv, It seems that people know something about this gasket that I don't. Can you please tell me how this head gasket differs from the generic variety? I probably don't need one right now, but I am gradually collecting parts in preparation for a possible future overhaul.
Project ICKPA.
Harv

Post by Harv »

In the grey motor, cold water is pumped from the bottom of the radiator into the front of the block on the drivers side. In theory, the water spreads along the block evenly. It moves across the outside of the cylinders to the passengers side, up into the head and evenly across the head. It then comes out the front of the head and falls back into the radiator.

Of course, water is somewhat lazy. Why take that long ride all the way there-and-back to number 6 cylinder, when it is far easier to take a shortcut across number 1? So most of the lazy water takes the shortcut. The front cylinders get extra cooling, and the back cylinders get starved for water.

After a quarter of a century, GMH worked out that this was not such a smart idea. To fix it, they offered a modified head gasket as an aftermarket repair. The gaskets have no coolant holes at the front of the block, which forces more of the lazy water to take the long ride all the way there-and-back to number 6 cylinder. When the gasket is installed, the coolant holes in the head and block around number 6 are also drilled out to make the journey easier for the water too.

Some aftermarket parts are a little like snake oil. Others are really good fixes. The jury was out on the gaskets, so Rob did some (rather scientific) testing, simulating the gasket with teflon plugs. The results (seen here: http://forum.fefcholden.club/index.php?topic=26399.0) show a pretty big difference with just the gasket change, let alone drilling out the holes.

The gaskets had been NLA for a looooong time, but I managed to borrow a NOS one. I got dies made up, and did a run of gaskets. They proved popular, and feedback from those using them show a noticeable difference in cooling. After a while my leftover gaskets had been sold, and people kept asking for them. I did a second run, and then later a third run. People kept asking, so I tried to do a fourth run (I am a sucker for punishment). My supplier (AA Gaskets) no longer manufacturers, so I had to find another supplier. That's now complete, and I am taking orders for the fourth run.

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Last call for orders please. I’ll close things off at midnight Thursday night, then will ask for payment please. Stragglers may be subject to a late fee (the kind that comes in brown bottles).

I have orders for 51 gaskets total from:
FB/EK Parisian62
FE/FC DougT
FE/FC Jolls
Email Darryl
Email Darren
FX/FJ SGO
FX/FJ earleebob
FX/FJ Andrew Donaldson
FB/EK BS
FE/FC Trevor_B
FE/FC Floyd58
Phone Engine rebuilder

Cheers,
Harv
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Harv, I am out of the country working, fly back on Friday and we have a club meeting/Christmas party on Saturday, will ask the question there and see if we get any takers ???
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Harv

Post by Harv »

No problem Blacky. It was a pretty fair stack that I sent over last time, happy to do the same again.

Cheers,
Harv
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Thank you my good man , and once again many thanks for your efforts 🍺🍺😎😎👍

Harv

Post by Harv »

Other than the WA boys, orders are finalised, and each of you should have received a PM requesting payment. Please PM me if there are any problems.

Cheers,
Harv
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Harv, not much interest from the WA crowd, I checked my stocks I have 2 - will use one on my rebuild and one left as a backup.
I put a post on the Facebook grey motor page and have a few sniffing at them , will let you know how that pans out.

Harv

Post by Harv »

All good.

Cheers,
Harv