FB Standard Wagon

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

Re: FB Standard Wagon

Post by Errol62 »

Had a visit fom Drew. Went for a drive down the beach. The thing goes alright! Enough to scare me a bit. Soon got used to no seatbelts.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

FlyingImageImage

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Brett027
State: NSW

Post by Brett027 »

Good to see🙂
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Harv

Post by Harv »

8)
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FbSTDwagon

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Cheers Clay and Blacky. Well there you I go, I just learnt about spark plug heat range.
I thought the hotter the better, but obviously not.

I’m certainly learning a lot at this point as I’ve never had anything to do with tuning before.

Anyways what I’ve done to the 219 is

Threw the old BP5’s back in, set the timing to 10 degrees, idle at about 600 rpm, rebalanced the carbs and did a half arse adjustment of the idle mixture.

Well doing all of those things in conjunction and to match each other have been game changing.

The cam isn’t really lumping too hard at idle but it idles nicely, so it is very clear there is a long way to go to get the tune perfect.

Proof is in the right foot though, had Clay reaching for the seatbelt that isn’t there when the 219 was still pulling at 55mph in 2nd gear.

Good smooth power curve with the WOT for an old grey motor.

I think I’ll pull the plugs out after todays thrashing and see how they are burning, might need a cooler plug yet.
Drew
FbSTDwagon

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Blacky wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:04 pm I have 5's in the rattler at the moment, the tuner asked me to buy a set of 6's and a set of 7's to bring with me on dyno day so I assume he is worried the plugs will be too hot .

Dunno if that helps you any ......
Yep that has helped my understanding a lot, makes total sense to me now why we use cooler plugs when the motor gets worked.
Drew
Harv

Post by Harv »

FbSTDwagon wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:39 pm The cam isn’t really lumping too hard at idle but it idles nicely, so it is very clear there is a long way to go to get the tune perfect.
Pull the idle back to factory, and that cam will lope... like this :D

Youtube

Lumpier than grandma's custard. Sounds cool, but by the time you spin the thing up to overcome the overlap they are a pig to drive. Much better with the idle set high.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FbSTDwagon

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Had a mate drop over this arvo who is an old engine head and he helped set up the timing a lot better on the 219.

I had the timing set at 10 static and it was running really well when out with Clay the other day and since then I’ve been swapping plugs types and playing with gaps.

Seems we got best combination we can get so it’s not a total pig to drive and still got good tourque and power.

BP5 plugs gapped .040
Timing set at 5 static with idle at about 620-650.
Idles pretty smooth and sounds a bit lumpy in the exhaust.

Damo showed me how to get an idea of what the dizzy curve is doing by using a timing light.

Disconnected the vacuum hose and blocked it and revved it up and down between 2500-3000 rpm.
Using the adjustable timing light he increased the numbers so the light always flicked into the TDC mark of the balancer.

At 10 static the dizzy was curving mechanically up to total 36-37 degrees at those high revs. Also it was idling pretty roughly.

Slowly retarded the static back bit by bit to 5 degrees and the total was about 30 degrees at revs.
Apparently a max of 30 degrees total is a good number in his books for a somewhat worked motor.

End result is a nice smooth idle with a little lump in the exhaust, the engine is not shaking at idle and it’s smooth to drive, and it’s still got similar if not the same torque and power.

Really interesting to learn some tricks off the old boy, especially when I really wanted to learn about dizzy curves and how they work.
He gave me a good schooling today.
Drew
FbSTDwagon

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Harv wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:55 am
FbSTDwagon wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:39 pm The cam isn’t really lumping too hard at idle but it idles nicely, so it is very clear there is a long way to go to get the tune perfect.
Pull the idle back to factory, and that cam will lope... like this :D

Youtube

Lumpier than grandma's custard. Sounds cool, but by the time you spin the thing up to overcome the overlap they are a pig to drive. Much better with the idle set high.

Cheers,
Harv
Yes that is a killer exhaust note Harv. I remember you sent me a small clip like this when I was trying to decide on a cam and yeah I ordered the 82 grind straight away😃
Drew
FbSTDwagon

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Was cleaning out an old Viscount caravan yesterday that I’m getting ready to flip and found this dash in the wardrobe.
Anyone recognise what model car it would be out of?
Gonna sell it I think.
Attachments
IMG_8650.jpeg
IMG_8650.jpeg (122.39 KiB) Viewed 202 times
Drew
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Dunno , at first I thought Valiant but maybe its Japanese, any clues on the back of it ????
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv

Post by Harv »

VJ-VK Valiant.

Cheers,
Harv
FbSTDwagon

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Blacky wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:03 am Dunno , at first I thought Valiant but maybe its Japanese, any clues on the back of it ????
No clues other than a stamp saying VDO AUSTRALIA
Drew
FbSTDwagon

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Harv wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:46 am VJ-VK Valiant.

Cheers,
Harv
Cheers Harv, it’s certainly no good to me so I’ll research what it’s worth and put a for sale post up on a Valiant page.

Thanks mate!
Drew
FbSTDwagon

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Hey guys. Thought I check back in.
I did something a bit risky and exciting today.
I went to a deceased estate workshop sale and came home with a shelf load of new and NOS parts.
Holden, &*#@, VW and god know what more.
Took all day to load it up and there is a lot there, it will take some time to work out what’s what but I can see there is some good stuff in there.

A couple of photos and I’ll post more when I get it layed out.
Attachments
IMG_8976.jpeg
IMG_8976.jpeg (108.59 KiB) Viewed 100 times
IMG_8977.jpeg
IMG_8977.jpeg (117.74 KiB) Viewed 100 times
IMG_8975.jpeg
IMG_8975.jpeg (125.88 KiB) Viewed 100 times
IMG_8974.jpeg
IMG_8974.jpeg (152.85 KiB) Viewed 100 times
Drew