Project 2.

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Re: Project 2.

Post by Harv »

Brett027 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:57 pmI had to sign a disclaimer that had the maximum shaft rpm listed.
I didn't have to sign a disclaimer, but am praying this thing does not deform in the FED. It sits between the legs about mid-calf for the driver :wtf: . Has to have a minimum 1/8" thick steel plate cover around it, connected back to the chassis. It's on the to-do list for next time I'm home.

Shortened driveshaft.jpg
Shortened driveshaft.jpg (906.7 KiB) Viewed 341 times

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

No chance I reckon Harv. If your shaft has the same end plugs that they welded on mine, your shaft would be solid inside😀.
Attachments
Hardy Spicer
Hardy Spicer
20240220_194551.jpg (791.45 KiB) Viewed 339 times
Sucker for a rusty bomb
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Tailshafts can cause a lot of damage when they break, have a look at this clip about 7:40 in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAZDU7oibCk
Im not surprised Hardy Spicer have put rev limitations on their shafts, because when they fail it does a serious amount of damage.
My race car tailshaft is rated at 8000RPM and the bloke at the time at Hardy Spicer questioned my diff ratio and tried to tell me the diff ratio slows it down.
Really i said, so my engine is doing 7000 rpm with a 1:1 ratio gearbox final drive and the tailshaft is connected to the end of that so whats it spinning at ??
For a couple of seconds he was a deer in the headlights but the penny dropped and i got what i wanted ! It is a big tube i must admit but it is required.
Cameron the guy who owns the valiant had the floor ripped apart leaving a huge hole adjacent to his hips, the rear of the gearbox was ripped off and it broke the outside tabs off his engine block, lots of damage and lucky it didnt come through the floor.

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Yes failure sure is catastrophic Greg. Saw the results of a 1900hp failure some time ago. Given that there is so much engine 'modding'being done that is why I raised it. My little red isn't going to be revving past 4000 in any gear let alone top gear, but for others it might be something to consider. 4000rpm with my set up would be travelling around 200 kph which is never going to happen. I have started to wonder if the fairly conservative red line on my old Torrie tacho was as much about engines flying apart as it was tailshafts?
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

I think tailshafts are something a lot of people don't really put a lot of thought into, has a mate over here have one let go on the dyno and it tore half the rear floor out of his HQ sedan :econfused: The one in my 57 Chev cost over $800 in 2011 , i nearly fell over backwards when I went to pick it up from Hardie Spicer :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

During the development of the GTS 327s, rumour has it that driveshaft failures were frequent. I think it was Tony Roberts who was quoted as saying, "Quite exciting. Bits flying everywhere."

Rob
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Bit of progress. Modified the pedal box to return to hydraulic clutch and made the necessary changes to accept the smaller bore master cylinder that works with the hydraulic throwout bearing. I was toying with using the original EK clutch hydraulics on the W50, but common sense (and finding that both my spare EK masters were US) prevailed. Clay you might recognise something in the photo.
Next big job is modifying the floor around the steering column base to fit the Prius electric steer unit.
Attachments
20240224_152922.jpg
20240224_152922.jpg (2.68 MiB) Viewed 239 times
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Yes. Everyone that looked at mine said it was off a trailer, but I asked for XR &*#@.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

It is petite😌. Just as long as it works like it should.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

While everything in and under my dash is in a thousand pieces, I thought I would share one of the simplest but very rewarding changes I made to the ute. Putting connectors on has made popping the instrument panel in and out so much easier.
Attachments
20240225_142542.jpg
20240225_142542.jpg (5.08 MiB) Viewed 217 times
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Harv

Post by Harv »

Playing dash-bulb roulette is half the fun :lol:

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Great idea Brett.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Thanks Clay. I reckon it saves me a heap of trouble anyway.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Nice one Brett, that is definitely on the to do list. Like the way you grouped everything too.
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
Wrongway Roger

Post by Wrongway Roger »

Thanks for sharing Brett.
I'm current rewiring the ute and this will tidy up a heap of them.
Cheer,
Roger
There is a right way and a wrong way and then there is my way which is usually the long way.