Red Rattler Revamp

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Re: Red Rattler Revamp

Post by Blacky »

Air cleaner done except I need to cut a ring and tighten it to the bell mouth as there is no way of clamping it to anything ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Then I moved a bit of timber from a tree we cut down just before Christmas, now my back hurts ImageImage

Had to move it so we could get to this as it’s off to FB heaven tomorrow , roof is a donor for the 2 door

When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Ben see neez an suk in zee gutz….

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Just in case anyone is still watching, here is todays progress - got the front end back together

Unfortunately the lowered springs along with drop spindles and HR front made it a little impractical Image

Had a set of NOS stock height heavy duty springs so in they go - not enough lowness so they will probably come out again for a haircut - will see if it settles any during the week.

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Did some horn contact research and development- a Danchuk Chevy horn contact kit can be fairly easily modified to suit an FB/EK by using the following steps -

Start with this kit -

You need to shorten the outer bit like so , knifed about 5mm out of it and superglued it back together -

Then you need to take about the same off the contact line so

And it will go straight in - and then if you are me you will find that the horn still doesn’t work because seeing as you modified the column it no longer earths through the bastard so you need to put a push button on the bloody dash ImageImageImageImageImage

Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Mmmmmm.... working horn contact... 8)

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hey Blacky
I had the same issue with Frank, drop spindles, lowered springs and HR front end = not enough height I used original standard HR springs and over time they have settled good to see the old slapper with her blouse on :lol:
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Mick

Post by Mick »

Blacky wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:52 pm
Had a set of NOS stock height heavy duty springs so in they go - not enough lowness so they will probably come out again for a haircut - will see if it settles any during the week.

jeezus those stock springs must have been high

you girls are soft i had drop spindles, cut springs and crossmember mounts cut down :lol: or the chopped car had drop spindles and 2" lowered coils drove to Alice, all around Ayers Rock, all round Coober Pedy :wink:
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I would be more than happy to leave it as it was but its a bit hard to go around corners when the tyres rub on the guards with more then a quarter of a turn on the steering wheel :econfused: :econfused:

Mick

Post by Mick »

Blacky wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:28 pm I would be more than happy to leave it as it was but its a bit hard to go around corners when the tyres rub on the guards with more then a quarter of a turn on the steering wheel :econfused: :econfused:
yeah that bit sucks really limits wheels and i also had to cut the inner lips out bashing them didn't do it and they still just rubbed, i also near tore the steering off on both cars with the steering hitting the road
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
60Special

Post by 60Special »

I had similar problems with your ex 2 door crs hr front end with drop spindles in the pv. No clearance on turns with the 15” rims so had to put in standard height hk, 1” longer than hr standard.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Rim offset can make a difference obviously. I have 195/75 R14 on 6” Sampson magnums and custom HT 6” steelys. On the Sampsons, which sit out slightly further, they rub on tighter corners. On the steelys nothing. 2” lowered stock HR disc front with rolled guards.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Not a lot of progress this weekend on the rattler with other stuff going on - fitted the boost gauge sensor and went to fit the new bracket for the ignition pickup but it’s about 8mm too thick - had to machine it down

Now it fits

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Another month has come and gone and very little progress ImageImage
Sorted out the air intake bracket yesterday and mounted up the accelerator pedal , dipper switch etc

Went to bleed the brakes today and the rear wheel cylinder is leaking, they have been in there 5 years now with no fluid in them so ordered 2 new ones

Harv

Post by Harv »

A trick I learned from Rob (with thanks).

The cast iron wheel cylinders are fine for daily drivers.

Anything that sits for more than a month between drives needs stainless-lined wheel cylinders.

Cheers,
Harv (master of leaky rear wheel cylinder changes).
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.