Micks chopped & tubbed ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

62MLOO
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: Micks chopped & tubbed ute

Post by 62MLOO »

Hey does anyone know if EK and EH bonnet hinges are the same and interchangeable?
WRAPAROUND WINDSCEENS AND SQUARE QUARTER WINDOWS RULE !!
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

62MLOO wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:27 pm Hey does anyone know if EK and EH bonnet hinges are the same and interchangeable?
They are different mate
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
62MLOO

Post by 62MLOO »

Oops.. I have one of each here and they seem to be identical but maybe the EH one I have is not actually EH. Is it just the inner guard bracket that maybe different or is it completely different and more like a HR one.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

They look very similar but I am sure there is a slight difference, a mate and I bought a job lot of early Holden stuff a few years back which had some EH bonnet hinges , we thought they were EK but they were a little bit different

I may be totally wrong of course, it happens all the time :? , ask my wife :lol: :lol: - someone with a master parts catalog will surely chime in before too long and give a definitive answer
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

zzzzzzzz

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

From the Mustard Oldfart's Cattledog:

FB/EK left hand: 7412309
FB/EK right hand: 7412308
EJ/EH left hand: 7415367
EJ/EH right hand: 7415368

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Cheers Harv 👍

62MLOO

Post by 62MLOO »

Onya Harv, Thanks for that. I spose just cause they have different part numbers doesn't necessarily mean they are different parts.
I want to order a pair of Billet Bonnet hinges but they only make em for EH and up. I cant really see any difference in them so I recon ill go ahead and order them anyway and see how they fit up.
Cheers
Mick
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I just reread this thread from page 1 - great to see its a manual - only pushbikes have 2 pedals :lol: :lol: , what happened to the billet rocker covers ? You going old school early Chev ones now or are they temporary ?

62MLOO

Post by 62MLOO »

Well Blacky, I think thats sort of what happens when you take so long to build a car like I have, ideas change bits go missin, rules change, new parts and accessories coming out all the time. In the case of the rocker covers, the engineer made us fill in the sump cut-out in the crossmember for some new rule change which meant it didn't comply, so that meant lifting the donk up and the Billet rocker covers ended up fouling on something as they were quite tall. The new ones are pressed metal small block on adaptor plates from Heavy Metal Garage and they sit a lot lower. I actually quite like them and it seems these days black is the new Chrome. The coil packs will now go under the dash. Other changes along the way include swapping the 4L80e tranny to a manual, 3 different water pumps, 2 radiators, axle housing modified 3 times, 2 throttle bodies, 2 exhausts systems,2 or maybe 3 front ends I dunno, and 2 ECU.s and god knows what else. Does your head in feels like I cold have built 3 cars here.
oz_ek
State: VIC

Post by oz_ek »

62MLOO wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:19 pm .... the engineer made us fill in the sump cut-out in the crossmember for some new rule change which meant it didn't comply,
Any more info on this new rule?
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

62MLOO wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:19 pm Other changes along the way include swapping the 4L80e tranny to a manual, 3 different water pumps, 2 radiators, axle housing modified 3 times, 2 throttle bodies, 2 exhausts systems,2 or maybe 3 front ends I dunno, and 2 ECU.s and god knows what else.
That sounds like me. I figure if it was easy then everyone would drive one.

Thanks for taking the time to share your build here - it helps the next bloke reduce the number of try-and-didn't-works.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Awesome build Mick. You can’t rush these things. Half the fun is lying awake at night dreaming up various options.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
62MLOO

Post by 62MLOO »

oz_ek wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:39 pm
62MLOO wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:19 pm .... the engineer made us fill in the sump cut-out in the crossmember for some new rule change which meant it didn't comply,
Any more info on this new rule?
Not sure, Oz, maybe something to do with rigidity or torsional strength or something. You know how it is. One day its ok and next it doesn't comply.
62MLOO

Post by 62MLOO »

It almost makes me cry when I think about all the parts Ive lost and have gone missing along the way. And I apologise for being a bit light on on the posts, Forums are not my strong suit but im getting the hang of it. This forum has been invaluable to me and I the wealth of knowledge and creativity here is darnsight amazing. Only just the other day I went and sourced a VN wiper motor thanks to the advice from you awesome FBEK lovers.
SQUARE QUARTER WINDOWS AND WRAPAROUND WINDSCREENS RULE !!