Home made Steering coloumn rings (custom item)

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Sputzwagon
State: NOT ENTERED

Home made Steering coloumn rings (custom item)

Post by Sputzwagon »

G'day all...
I've been asked by a few FB/EK folk on how I got an EJ wheel on my EK steering coloumn and not have a big gap between the back of the wheel and indicator arm ring and what did I do for this (instead of changing the whole coloumn to an EJ one). Well as most can see I hand made a fibreglass ring to close the void.
I have been asked recently (by Rustydungers & Brian Westlake) to make them some. So this thread is a "how to" make them yourself..(but keep in mind this is VERY time consuming, so much so I am going to get a mould made (by Paul 'Smooth Customs' Kelly) so it will be easier to pop 'em out instead of all the work to hand make each one!!).
Here is what it looks like as a finished item on my car. Note: I have an EJ/EH wheel but this will work for aftermarket sports wheels too. :thumbsup:

I recently aquired an old EK coloumn off Rustydungers for this new ring I'm making. This is a good thing as the one I originally made for mine I had to make on the car!! (BIG Hassle!).
Firstly I had to remove the Horn contact ring then undo the outer indicator mechanisim tin cover & file off the two lugs that hold the brass plate & ball on the inicator thing. Once that is done I had to fill the three holes in the tin cover with bog. then file and sand these flush with the rest of the covers outter shape.

After that was done I put many coats of polish on the cover and ring below (release agent for the fibreglass) then screwed the lot back together and tape the bits i did'nt want to cover with any 'glass. Next I mixed some fibreglass filler (gorilla hair) and thickly put ton on the polished cover to fill the gap and build it up to about 30 mm's in height. It looks rough at this point but theres heaps more filing, sanding & filling to come!

Once hardened, unscrew the cover and get a thin blade in between the new 'glass ring & tin cover to loosen the top and slowly push the ring off the cover, to reveal just the ring.

Leave off for a few hours then re-screw the cover back on the coloumn and slide the 'tight fit' ring over ready for filing & sanding into shape.
At this point dont worry about the top not being even as this is sanded down later when the wheel goes on. :wink:

end of step one..more to come as I do it.

Scotty.
Last edited by Sputzwagon on Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg211/scottyharrod/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No 2
rustysdungers

Re: Home made Steering coloumn rings (custom item)

Post by rustysdungers »

Good work Scotty can't wait to put that max rob wheel on :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :fbholden:
Where were you in '62???
Sputzwagon

Post by Sputzwagon »

rustysdungers wrote:Good work Scotty can't wait to put that max rob wheel on :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :fbholden:
Of course you know Rus that Tony now HATES you!! :shock: He'd love a Max rob wheel for his FB!!! :lol: :lol:

Scotty.
[img]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg211/scottyharrod/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Sputzwagon

Post by Sputzwagon »

OK..part 2..
I've now finished the adding of more bog & doing the inside (wheel side) edge..something I did'nt do on the first one on my car.
Here it is all smoothed off and ready for primer and a coat of paint.
...after this is done I'll cheat and send it up to QLD to Paul Kelly for him to make a mould so I can pop copy's out. :wink: :thumbsup:

Scotty.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Nice bangle....... :mrgreen:

oooops! Sorry I meant how to Scotty! :thumbsup: But once the mould is made not necessary. The time alone saved would be worth buying it. Thats alot of sanding.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Sputzwagon

Post by Sputzwagon »

Devilrod wrote:Nice bangle....... :mrgreen:

oooops! Sorry I meant how to Scotty! :thumbsup: But once the mould is made not necessary. The time alone saved would be worth buying it. Thats alot of sanding.
Thank's DR!! :roll: :lol:
I did'nt realize I was making a "fashion accesory"...whatever floats your boat! :lol:
There's at least 10 hours put into this bloody thing so far and I still want to do a bit more filling here & there...but to have a mould will make it easy to pop one out as needed. I'm a realist though and I have no illusions of grandure as to making my first million out of 'em!! :wtf: It's just something that FB/EK owners that want to change their wheels need to finish of the coloumn. :thumbsup:

Scotty.