W-clip twin/triple carb lnkages

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

W-clip twin/triple carb lnkages

Post by Harv »

Almost there with the carb document. I've spent some time this week getting my head around twin and triple carb linkages, and have some good sketches and info for the document :D .

One thing that has me buggered though is the aftermarket "W-clip" linkages:

From what I can nut out, the cad-plated steel rod is used to connect (marry) the throttle shafts on two carburettors. The black W-clips clamp onto each end of the rod by tightening the bolt. The cad-plated arm clamps onto the steel rod and is driven by either a cable or the original "swinging bar" type linkage.

What I can't understand is how the W-clips join the rod onto the throttle shafts. On the rear carb, I can envisage the W-clip being put onto the throttle shaft under the pump lever nut (it looks like the W-clips have a D-shaped hole to fit the throttle shaft). But on the front carb, there is no nut on the end of the throttle lever - the throttle shaft is peined over on a standard B-model Stromberg. Some questions:
a) I understand that some carbs have a nut on the front carb throttle lever that a stubby shaft screws onto. Is this the HR/HD X2 carbs (they have different throttle shafts to all other Holden Strombergs going by the Bendix part numbers)?
b) How are the W-clips attached to front carbs if the throttle shaft doesn't have the nut mentioned in a) above? Do you have to remove the throttle plate, pull the shaft, slip the W-clip on then reassemble the throttle shaft/plate?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Harv.
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
fingers
State: VIC

Re: W-clip twin/triple carb lnkages

Post by fingers »

Harv wrote:Almost there with the carb document. I've spent some time this week getting my head around twin and triple HR/HD X2 carbs (they have different throttle shafts to all other Holden Strombergs going by the Bendix part numbers)?
b) How are the W-clips attached to fro But on the front carb, there is no nut on the end of the throttle lever - the throttle shaft is peined over on a standard B-model Stromberg. Some questions:
nt carbs if the throttle shaft doesn't have the nut mentioned in a) above? Do you have to remove the throttle plate, pull the shaft, slip the W-clip on then reassemble the throttle shaft/plate?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Harv.
**************************************************************************************************************************
Go to a carby place they can ream the throttle shaft hole and fit a new throttle shaft with a threaded end and a nut to secure the new w clip and throttle arm .....if there is any movement in the throttle shaft it makes the carbs suck air thru this wear area and makes them very had to tune so it always pays to get new throttle shafts fitted anyway ...South Eastern Carbs here in Dandenong ( 03 97949259 ) do it for around $25.00 a base .......I have a pair of twins here with this done and these linkages if you would like a photo .just let me know mate ....Fingers
Last edited by fingers on Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks fingers - would love a photo - I've PM'd my email address.

Cheers,
Harv.
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Aha.... some more digging through the Bendix manuals..

BXOV-1 carbs (grey motors) had the throttle shaft peined over on the throttle lever side, and a nut only on the pump lever side. Most of the BXV-2 and BXUV-2 (red motors) had a different throttle shaft and a nut on both sides to fit the auto linkages.

So to run the W-clips, you either need to run the later carbs, or put the later throttle shafts into the grey motor carbs.

Cheers fingers for putting me onto the right path.
fingers
State: VIC

Post by fingers »

Harv wrote:Aha.... some more digging through the Bendix manuals..

BXOV-1 carbs (grey motors) had the throttle shaft peined over on the throttle lever side, and a nut only on the pump lever side. Most of the BXV-2 and BXUV-2 (red motors) had a different throttle shaft and a nut on both sides to fit the auto linkages.

So to run the W-clips, you either need to run the later carbs, or put the later throttle shafts into the grey motor carbs.

Cheers fingers for putting me onto the right path.
**************************************************************************************************************************
I dont think the shaft from the later carbs will fit mate, ...Barry at South Eastern Carbs in Dandenong ( 03 97949259 ) Makes a shaft to fit the BXVO1 carbs ...give him a call and have a chat to him hes very knowledgeable on all things old and very helpful ...Fingers
Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?
Thommo
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Thommo »

I had my shafts replaced on the triples so I had a nut on either side.
The nut itself is a piece of hex bar, tapped at one end,
turned round on the other to accept the W clip.
the nut was used as a lock nut.

Sorry about the crap pic, but you get the idea.

Cheers
Jeff
Harv

Post by Harv »

Cheers Thommo.

Looks like with the standard W-clips you need the "nut/hex rod/round rod" adaptor, as the normal (Speco-type) W-clips are set up to join two round shafts. The ones being flogged on eBay at the moment (like my pic above) have a D-shaped hole on one side, so you can get away with a standard nut on the carb side.

Good info - will note in the document.

Cheers,
Harv.